[Mb-civic] MUST READ: Church, state, and Katrina - James Carroll - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Sep 12 04:01:18 PDT 2005

Church, state, and Katrina

By James Carroll, Globe Columnist  |  September 12, 2005

THE DISASTER on the Gulf Coast is the occasion for public prayer.
President Bush invites the nation this week to place the victims of
Katrina in the hands of an all-loving God, an impulse many of us share.
In Boston and other cities, religious figures have been at the forefront
of welcome expressions of concern. On the scene of the catastrophe
itself, religious organizations have provided heroic relief, often in
stark contrast to hesitant government agencies. The value -- and values
-- of religion have been on full display during this crisis.

And yet, Katrina's aftermath opens a curtain on the new -- and
troublesome -- place religion occupies in the culture of America.
Continuing a train of thought I began last week, I find myself wondering
if the abysmal performance of government agencies in responding to this
crisis isn't related to the unprecedented emphasis the government itself
has been putting on ''faith-based" groups as key providers of social
services? There is nothing new, of course, in religious organizations as
generous suppliers of various public needs. One thinks of the parochial
school system or the Salvation Army. But politicians from Washington to
the state capitols have exploited this tradition of religious generosity
to justify the rollback of programs dating to the New Deal.

Why is the shift from government to religion troubling? Doesn't it
square with the idea that common-good activities flourish from the
grassroots up? And isn't religion essentially a matter of compassionate
love, an ideal no one would claim for public institutions? Religion
directly addresses the mystery of death and suffering: What better
institution to meet the needs of the suffering? Aren't religiously
motivated providers, for whom the cardinal virtues are professional
qualifications, less prone to large and small corruptions? What's to
choose between, say, Mother Teresa and a form-obsessed social worker?
Wouldn't we all prefer to have our needs met by the communion of the saints?

Maybe not. My unease is partly rooted in a question about religion and
partly in concern for something essential to civil society. Religion,
too, is of the human condition, and religious people (as they will tell
you) are as sinful as anybody. The good reputation of religion survives
despite those sins. Government, meanwhile, is held in contempt, a
dichotomy related to a divide of the mind embodied in the ''separation
of church and state," which has virtue on one side, corruption on the
other. The state is firmly located in ''secular" culture, lately
denigrated as the ''culture of death."

An over-the-top critique of the nonreligious realm -- ''secularism" --
is a staple of religious rhetoric, but the main tenets of democracy
itself (pluralism, human rights, rational inquiry) were vigorously
opposed as ''modernism" by almost all religious organizations. The
''state," it turns out, is as holy as the ''church."

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/09/12/church_state_and_katrina/