[Mb-civic] Hindsight: A User's Guide - Michael Kinsley - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Sep 12 03:58:23 PDT 2005

Hindsight: A User's Guide

By Michael Kinsley
Sunday, September 11, 2005; Page B07

As a good American, you no doubt have been worried sick for years about
the levees around New Orleans. Or you've been worried at least since you
read that official report back in August 2001 -- the one that ranked a
biblical flood of the Big Easy as one of our top three potential
national emergencies. No? You didn't read that report back in 2001? You
just read about it in the newspapers this past week?

Well, how about that prescient New Orleans Times-Picayune series back in
2002 that laid out the whole likely catastrophe? Everybody read that
one. Or at least it sure seems that way now. I was not aware that the
Times-Picayune had such a large readership in places like Washington,
D.C., and California. And surely you have been badgering public
officials at every level of government to spend whatever it takes to
reinforce those levees -- and to raise your taxes if necessary to pay
for it.

No? You never gave five seconds of thought to the risk of flood in New
Orleans until it became impossible to think about anything else? Me
neither. Nor have I given much thought to the risk of a big earthquake
along the West Coast -- the only one of the top three catastrophes that
hasn't happened yet -- even though I live and work in the earthquake zone.

Of course, my job isn't to predict and prepare for disasters. My job is
to recriminate when they occur. It's not easy. These days the
recrimination business is overrun like Baton Rouge with amateurs, who
are squatting on all the high ground. The fetid aroma of hindsight is
everywhere.

Sen. Mary Landrieu and other Louisiana politicians have been flashing
their foresight all over the tube. They say they asked repeatedly for
more money so that the Army Corps of Engineers could strengthen the
levees, but repeatedly the Bush administration actually cut the Corps
budget instead. The Corps itself is feeling pretty smug. It has long
wanted money to build levees that would survive even a Category 5
hurricane, let alone a measly Category 4 such as Katrina.

Sure, and if there were a Category 6 or a Category 473, there would be a
dusty Corps of Engineers report in a filing cabinet somewhere asking for
money to protect against that one, too. The Corps has done many
marvelous things. But it would cement over the Great Lakes or level
Mount Rainier if we would let it.

Its warnings about natural disasters are like the warnings of that
famous economist who has predicted 10 of the past five recessions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/09/AR2005090901829.html?nav=hcmodule