[Mb-civic] Re:How the Free Market Killed New Orleans

Rhaerther at aol.com Rhaerther at aol.com
Sat Sep 3 12:51:44 PDT 2005

Many other nations, such as the Dominican Republic and Qatar have also
offered aid.  Today Castro offered to send MASH medical units to rural  Louisiana
as well as medical supplies.  Hopefully Codi can find time in  between her shoe
shopping and the Shrub can his handlers to pull his head out of  his ass long
enough to accept.

What is really disturbing is the way the refugees at both the Superdome and
the Convention Center were treated.  The Superdome is gearing up for the
Saints season, plus hosts other events year round.  They can easily handle
stockpiling supplies to feed 100,000 people at a whack, not to mention toilet
paper.  The Convention Center, while not as large, also has to keep  supplies on
hand.  Where were they?  I read an unsubstantiated news  report that after a few
days some people used a forklift to force open a  shuttered concession stand
in the Superdome, where the people immediately  grabbed what they could.  I
was watching CNN Thurs night, there was a clip  of a woman who was wandering
back halls of the Convention Center looking for  food for her children.  The
camera crew showed her finding a  well-stocked pantry.  Why wasn't this food being
made available to the  people there as well?  Free market my ass, the
bastards responsible for  operating those facilities need to be questioned regarding
the accuracy of what  they could have done and didn't do.

I'm waiting for FEMA to get invoices for $4 bottles of water from both
facilities.  FEMA should tell them to go to hell.

Richard Haerther