[Mb-civic] Taxing gasoline the right way - Scot Lehigh - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Oct 14 03:13:52 PDT 2005

Taxing gasoline the right way

By Scot Lehigh  |  October 14, 2005

THIS HAS BEEN a year when you could have a European vacation without
leaving the United States.

Well, a European experience, anyway.

In late summer, our gas prices spiked to levels vaguely reminiscent of
those in Europe, where taxes have long boosted the cost of a fill-up
into the stratosphere. Europeans, of course, have adapted with vehicles
far smaller, lighter, and more fuel efficient than those on US roads.

The benefit of that sort of transport was brought home to me years ago
during a driving tour of Scotland, when a hardhearted service attendant
refused to let us gas up after we arrived at her remote station a few
scant moments past her early evening closing time. With miles to go
before we slept, we set out over the narrow roads that lead around the
desolate top of the country, perhaps half a tank of gas in our subcompact.

Long, anxious, gas-station-less hours later, we cruised into our
destination of Ullapool after even the late-setting Scottish sun had
said good night, seemingly running on fumes -- and exceeding grateful
for the miraculous little gas miser we had rented.

Of course, as anyone who occasionally drives in Europe can attest, gas
prices there make you consider fuel efficiency even when renting in a
way consumers here simply haven't had to when buying.

As a sprawling nation more dependent on our vehicles than Europeans are,
we wouldn't want permanent prices anywhere near as high as theirs. (Even
before the summer, gas, in translated prices, was at $5.54 a gallon in
France, $5.96 a gallon in Italy, and $5.79 in the UK.)

Yet those driving gas guzzlers probably wish they had had some inkling
of the summer prices gas would reach when they bought their last
vehicle. Who, knowing he or she would face weeks of prices well over $3
a gallon, would eagerly opt for a gas hog?

Certainly large conservation gains would come if American motorists made
fuel efficiency a much higher priority when buying their next car. Yet
if, after the summer shock, prices slide back under $2 a gallon, as some
are predicting, any long-term prod toward conservation will be lost.

''The short-term volatility of gas prices does not send a sufficient
signal," notes Jeff Faux, a distinguished fellow at the Economic Policy
Institute. ''People do not make long-term decisions on the basis of
short-term fluctuations."

That's why we need a gas tax designed to keep gas prices at a level that
encourages fuel efficiency, while moderating the kind of dramatic
increases we saw this summer. Such a tax would be adjusted periodically,
falling when gas prices rise, but rising when gas prices fall.

According to the American Automobile Association, the average price for
a gallon of regular was under $2 a gallon from November through February
and under $2.50 from February through August. Since then, however, that
price has been above $2.75.

Let's say the government's target range for regular was $2.50 to $2.60 a
gallon. With prices currently well above that, we'd see a substantial
decline in federal and state gas levies. (The federal government
currently taxes gasoline 18.4 cents per gallons; most states add at
least another 20 cents.)

But when the price dropped below the target range, federal and state
taxes would increase to push it back up.

Such a policy of periodic gas tax adjustments would take careful design
and coordination.

The result, however, would be a more predictable price for gasoline,
without the economy-jarring spikes.

Knowing that gas was not going to return to bargain levels, consumers
would soon start making better mileage a major consideration in their
purchasing decisions. Myopic Detroit would then head in the direction
that foreign automakers have: Toward a broader commitment to fuel
efficiency.

And make no mistake, the technology has been there for significant
gains. But as writer Gregg Easterbrook has noted, during the era of
cheap gas, automakers essentially transferred efficiency gains into
increased power, rather than better mileage.

Perhaps that choice made market sense in an era of plentiful petroleum.
It makes no sense if we are finally approaching the era of limits we've
been warned about for several decades.

But even if those warnings are wrong, it's time to put in place real
incentives for conservation.

An adjustable gas tax would do just that, even while easing our periodic
pain at the pump.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/10/14/taxing_gasoline_the_right_way/