[Mb-civic] How to question Harriet Miers - Rashi Fein - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Oct 14 03:11:49 PDT 2005

How to question Harriet Miers

By Rashi Fein  |  October 14, 2005

A FEW DAYS ago I had occasion to visit the John Joseph Moakley United
States Courthouse in Boston. The building is adorned with numerous
inscriptions: the preamble to the US Constitution; the First, Fourth,
Sixth, and 14th Amendments; excerpts from the constitutions of Puerto
Rico, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine, and great
quotations carved in stone.

I stopped to read and think about the two inscriptions at the entrance
stairways of the courthouse, one by Justice Louis D. Brandeis, the other
by Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes. I then walked through and around the
building and read others.

All of them, from the first by John Adams in 1776 to the last by Justice
Stephen Breyer in 1991, are deeply moving. They are part of our rich
history and legal tradition, a ''democratic conversation," in the words
of the courthouse brochure. And so I offer a suggestion: Suppose the
members of the Senate Judiciary Committee were to spend less time asking
questions a nominee to the Supreme Court would either choose not to
answer, deem ''inappropriate," or just plain evade. Suppose instead they
were to engage with the nominee in a conversation about the quotations
from Boston's federal courthouse. Wouldn't the members of the committee
and we, the public, learn more about the nominees' views than we do from
questions that go unanswered?

Just over there, at the entrance stairway, is a statement by Oliver
Wendell Holmes, made in 1881 before he was elevated to the Supreme
Court: ''The life of the law has not been logic: It has been
experience." And from the brochure, we learn that Holmes went on to say,
''In order to know what [the law] is, we must know what it has been and
what it tends to become." In Holmes's view, then, the law is alive and
ever-changing.

Does Harriet Miers stand with Holmes or does she find his statement
wanting, thinks Holmes ''too activist" a justice? Let's talk that
through with Miers.

And let's have a look at the words of Justice Louis D. Brandeis and talk
about the role of the Executive Branch and the application of executive
power. Here is what he said in 1914: ''Our government is the potent, the
omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole world by
its example." Brandeis, the brochure notes, went on to say, ''In a
government of laws, existence of the government will be imperiled if it
fails to observe the law scrupulously" and ''if the government becomes a
lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law . . ." Does that statement inform
our discussion about the application of the Geneva Convention and, if
so, how?

Or we might focus on and discuss what Justice Frankfurter in 1951 wrote,
in words that some would argue apply to ''enemy combatants" and others:
''No better instrument has been devised for arriving at truth than to
give a person in jeopardy of serious loss notice of the case against him
and opportunity to meet it." He went on to emphasize that ''the validity
and moral authority of a conclusion largely depend on the mode by which
it was reached" and, as the brochure states, ''He warned that a fair
process is especially critical 'at times of agitation and anxiety, when
fear and suspicion impregnate the air we breathe.' " Does Miers agree
with Justice Frankfurter? If not, how would she amend his statement?

There are more than 30 engravings on the Moakley Courthouse. Every one
is both a witness to and a maker of history. It would be useful for the
US Senate to know what Miers thinks about those statements, statements
that the designers of the courthouse considered significant to the
understanding of the role of law and the pursuit of justice.

In the jury assembly hall of the courthouse are inscribed the words of
Justice Brandeis: ''Those who won our independence believed . . . that
the greatest menace to freedom is an inert people; that public
discussion is a political duty and that this should be a fundamental
principle of the American government."

Applying those words in the forthcoming hearings would enable the
citizenry to listen to the discussion and to be educated in the issues
involved. Such a ''democratic conversation" would be invaluable, far
more useful and instructive than yet another round of predictable
questions and equally predictable responses.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/10/14/how_to_question_harriet_miers/