[Mb-civic] Far Beyond The Wild Blue Yonder - Eugene Robinson - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Oct 14 03:04:10 PDT 2005

Far Beyond The Wild Blue Yonder

By Eugene Robinson
Friday, October 14, 2005; Page A19

Let's look away from earthly death and destruction for a moment and turn
our gaze to the stars. When China sent two astronauts into orbit this
week in a Chinese space capsule atop a Chinese rocket -- demonstrating
once again that manned space flight is the defining status symbol
elevating superpowers above wannabes -- I thought of Michael D. Griffin,
NASA's eager administrator. And I thought of Buzz Lightyear.

Buzz was the spaceman character in the computer-animated movie "Toy
Story," you'll recall, and he had a signature line: "To infinity -- and
beyond!" That's pretty much where Griffin expects the U.S. space program
to take the human race -- back to the moon, on to Mars, then perhaps to
the moons of Jupiter and finally out into the limitless "beyond" of
interstellar space, visiting faraway, undiscovered solar systems in our
latter-day Santa Marias, Niñas and Pintas.

It sounds like the kind of vision that leads people to wriggle into
velour jumpsuits, put on made-in-China pointy ears, gather in ballrooms
at Holiday Inns and greet each other with "Live long and prosper." But
Griffin's is no true "Star Trek" scenario, because he sees this as
America's destiny, not humankind's, with Americans getting there first.
Wherever "there" might be.

Griffin recently explained to reporters and editors of The Post that if
the humans who inevitably "colonize the solar system and one day go
beyond" do not carry "Western values," we could end up with "a gulag on
Mars."

(I guess that means no seat on the bridge for Chekov, Sulu or Uhura.
Scotty, all right, maybe. But the ultra-serious Spock, with his alien
Vulcan values, is out of the question. He might even be a candidate for
extraordinary rendition to the Klingons.) Griffin went on to say that
"in the long run" -- the very long run, I hope -- the human species will
face mass extinction. "If we humans want to survive for hundreds of
thousands or millions of years," he said, "we must ultimately populate
other planets. . . . [One] day, I don't know when that day is . . .
there will be more human beings who live off the Earth than on it."

Some would say the hard-right leadership in Congress left our planet
long ago, but I digress.

Griffin is not a nut. He's a smart, genial engineer who needs to
enunciate a mission for his agency and justify its $16.2 billion budget.
At a time when the government is hemorrhaging money on Iraq, Afghanistan
and Gulf Coast reconstruction while also cutting taxes for the wealthy,
manned space travel is a tough sell. Robotic probes are much cheaper and
have proved spectacularly effective. But NASA wants to send astronauts.

If the goal is really to colonize other worlds, Griffin is right that
only humans can do the job. There's a slight problem, though, one that
Albert Einstein explained 100 years ago in the process of forever
changing our understanding of time and space.

A century is long enough for the fact to sink in that nothing can be
made to travel faster than the speed of light. You can't go zooming to
and fro across the galaxy at "warp speed" as they did on the "Star Trek"
series. All you can do, really, is poke around the neighborhood. It
would take years to get to the nearest star, maybe decades to get to the
nearest star with planets, maybe centuries to the nearest star with a
planet that looked anything like Earth. So much for going "beyond."

In a sense, the probes that NASA, the Russians, the Europeans and the
Japanese have sent to other planets and moons in the solar system have
been too successful, in that they proved that we already live in the
best house in the neighborhood -- indeed, the only house in the
neighborhood. Griffin said, for example, that the absence of breathable
oxygen in the thin Martian atmosphere would be one of the lesser
obstacles to colonizing Mars. That gives you some idea of how difficult
the greater obstacles might be.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/13/AR2005101301789.html?nav=hcmodule