[Mb-civic] That Was a Short War on Poverty - E. J. Dionne - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Oct 14 03:02:12 PDT 2005

That Was a Short War on Poverty

By E. J. Dionne Jr.
Friday, October 14, 2005; Page A19

It has long been said that Americans have short attention spans, but
this is ridiculous: Our bold, urgent, far-reaching, post-Katrina war on
poverty lasted maybe a month.

Credit for our ability to reach rapid closure on the poverty issue goes
first to a group of congressional conservatives who seized the
post-Katrina initiative before advocates of poverty reduction could get
their plans off the ground.

As soon as President Bush announced his first spending package for
reconstructing New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, the Republican Study
Committee and other conservatives switched the subject from poverty
reduction to how Katrina reconstruction plans might increase the deficit
that their own tax-cutting policies helped create.

Unwilling to freeze any of the tax cuts, these conservatives proposed
cutting other spending to offset Katrina costs. The headlines focused on
the seemingly easy calls on pork-barrel spending. But some of their
biggest cuts were in health care programs, including Medicaid, and other
spending for the poor.

Thus, the budget Congress is now considering would cut spending by $35
billion and cut taxes by $70 billion. Excuse me, but doesn't this
increase the deficit by a net of $35 billion?

Don't worry, said Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana, one of the leading House
conservatives. Cutting taxes for the rich is the best antipoverty
program. "I'm mindful of what a pipe fitter once said to President
Reagan," Pence said, according to the New York Times. " 'I've never been
hired by a poor man.' A growing economy is in the interest of every
working American, regardless of their income."

In other words, the conservatives have moved the conversation to ideas
that go back to Calvin Coolidge's low-tax economics from the 1920s. And
they say liberals are the folks with the "old" ideas?

If it didn't matter, I'd be inclined to salute the agenda-setting genius
of the right wing. But since we need a national conversation on poverty,
it's worth considering that conservatives were successful in pushing it
back in part because of weaknesses on the liberal side.

Right out of the box, conservatives started blaming the persistent
poverty unearthed by Katrina on the failure of "liberal programs." If
there was a liberal retort, it didn't get much coverage in the
supposedly liberal media.

It's conservatives, after all, who spent almost a decade touting the
genius of the 1996 welfare reform and claiming that because so many
people had been driven off the welfare rolls, poverty was no longer a
problem.

Yes, welfare reform worked better than some of us expected in the 1990s.
But Katrina underscored the limits of welfare reform by showing how many
people had been left behind. It also brought home the failure of
conservative economics. The Clinton economy -- bolstered by balanced
budgets, tax increases on the rich and the expansion of innovative
programs such as the earned-income tax credit and health coverage for
the poor -- cut the number of poor people by 7.7 million between 1993
and 2000. Between 2001 and 2004, on the other hand, the number of those
in poverty rose by 4.1 million.

Or consider that a recent Census Bureau report found that the percentage
of Americans getting private job-based health insurance fell from 63.6
percent in 2000 to 59.8 percent in 2004. What held down the number of
Americans without insurance altogether? The proportion insured under
government programs -- Medicaid and the State Children's Health
Insurance Program -- rose from 10.6 percent in 2000 to 12.9 percent in
2004. A time when more Americans than ever need government-provided
health insurance is when we should expand government assistance for
health care, not cut it back. It's also a good time for raising the
minimum wage and increasing the help the earned-income tax credit offers
the working poor.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/13/AR2005101301408.html