[Mb-civic] Arianna's latest on Judy Miller

Mike Blaxill mblaxill at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 09:03:51 PDT 2005

Judy Miller Meets the Grand Jury: Take Two

What a difference 11 days -- and a suddenly
discovered set of notes -- can make.

After her first grand jury appearance, Judy
Miller preened for the cameras triumphantly and
talked about going to jail for her principles.

There were no such remarks after today’s
appearance. No attacks on blanket waivers or
calls for a federal shield law.

No wistful longings for a hug from her dog and a
meal with her husband. Indeed, exiting the
courthouse after her testimony, neither Miller
nor Bob Bennett had anything to say.

And I know you can’t tell a book -- or a $1.2
million book deal -- by its cover but, by all
outward appearances, the hour Miller spent
testifying this morning was not an easy one. On
her way into the courthouse, decked out in a
bright red blouse and oversized shades, Miller
was all smiles, chatting easily with Bennett.
Afterwards, she was decidedly less bubbly. Kind
of like, oh, I don’t know, an Aspen tree
clustered with other Aspens that have been hit by
a hatchet and are starting to lose sap?

Another difference: after her first appearance,
Miller was joined by (and got all verklempt over)
Arthur Sulzberger. Today, “Pinch” stayed away
chicken entrail that can be picked over by
Pinchologists looking for signs of what’s going
on behind-closed-doors at the Times.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/judy-miller-meets-the-gra_b_8759.html