[Mb-civic] Maureen Dowd

Mike Blaxill mblaxill at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 08:34:06 PDT 2005

To Sir, with Love
    By Maureen Dowd
    The New York Times

    Wednesday 12 October 2005

    W. was the best Harry ever had.

    "You are the best Governor ever - deserving
of great respect!" gushed Harriet Miers, then the
Texas Lottery chief, to George W. Bush in 1997.
The belated birthday card she sent her boss with
a sheepishly eager puppy poking his head up and a
poem that read: "This is the wish/That should
have been sent/Before your birthday/Came and
went."

    According to a cache of mash notes released
by the Texas State Library and Archives
Commission in response to formal requests from
The Times and other news organizations, Ms. Miers
also told W. that he was "cool" and "the best!";
that he and Laura were "the greatest"; that Texas
was "in great hands"; and that the governor
should "keep up the great work. Texas is
blessed."

    Since there is no breathtaking Miers judicial
record to pore over, I was eager to read more
breathless Miers missives to a president she
describes as the most brilliant man she has ever
met. How could I get the notes from the White
House, given how opposed Mr. Bush is to leaks? I
called Scooter and Karl and they sent the secret
documents right over.

    August 2001 "Thank you so much for letting me
bundle up and drag away the brush that you cut
down today. And if I might add, Sir, I've never
seen a man wield the nippers so judiciously. It
was awesome! You are the best brush cutter
ever!!"

    September 2001 "I found out today that you
handed down a decision for the White House mess
to offer three different kinds of jelly with its
P.B.&J. sandwiches. Sweet!! As you know, I'm the
only member of the staff who eats three meals a
day in the mess. Now I get to have a different
type of jelly at every meal! The mess is blessed
to have a president who cares so much. I know I'm
probably just flattering myself, but I like to
think that you are thinking of me, also. (Smile.)

    "P.S. Can you believe Condi cares more about
W.M.D.'s than P.B.&J.'s?"

    April 2002 "I was worried that it could go
unstated in the rush of business around here, but
I just wanted to pause and say how amazing it is
that, after doing so much for the American people
already, you keep showing up for work most days.
We have to come, but you choose to. You're the
hardest-working president ever!!"

    October 2002 "I'm not sure Condi has made the
time to thank you herself, so I just wanted to
say how much we appreciated the tickets to
'Madame Butterfly' on Saturday night. I wore my
long black robe - I mean, opera cape. I just wish
it had had that song from 'The Sound of Music' -
I know you love it, too - 'Cream-colored ponies
and crisp apple strudels. ...' You're one of my
favorite things, sir!"

    January 2003 "Just a quick note to say how
cool it is that you picked Brownie to head FEMA.
There's nothing like having someone you know and
trust in a top job. Your gut is the best judge
ever!!"

    April 2004 "There is no other president who
would have had the courage to allow torture,
dude! (It's only too bad that Abu Ghraib rules
out Alberto's chances of getting on the Supreme
Court.) You are the best torturer ever!! xo, H."

    June 2005 "Make sure you take a good, long
vacation this summer! Last year, you only took
two weeks. You are pushing yourself way too hard,
Sir!!"

    August 2005 "I've half a mind to come down
there myself and chase that witch, Cindy Sheehan,
off your property with an injunction!! Yours,
with you in Christ, Harriet."

    September 2005 "In all this fuss about that
bad-girl buttinsky Katrina, no one else seems to
have noticed - not even Karen - that you've
achieved your bold vision of losing that seven
pounds. That extra week of mountain biking was so
much more important than people realize. You're
the most chiseled commander in chief ever, and
the most rad guitar player ever!!"

    October 2005 "How can I thank you, Sir? I
never, ever expected the Supreme Court. Phat! I
hope Clarence doesn't make me watch 'Debbie Does
Dallas' again. That movie is so anti-Texas! I
miss you already!!

    "But now I will be able to serve your
interests - and those of your family - forever
and ever. If there's another recount you need
help with, count on me. They say I don't have
experience, but I've had the experience of
polishing the boots of the wisest ruler since
Solomon. I may not know stare decisis, but I know
when to be starry-eyed. I await your
instructions, Master."

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/101205E.shtml