[Mb-civic] A friend in need - Thomas H. Sander - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Nov 14 04:13:02 PST 2005

A friend in need

By Thomas H. Sander  |  November 14, 2005

DONALD TRUMP. ''Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" Powerball lotteries.

Americans worship wealth and bemoan the material possessions they lack.
In 2005 (the Year of Rediscovered Class Consciousness?), we seem to be
waking up to the material class gaps that have grown for almost 40
years, since 1967.

But attention to this real and important economic class gap could blind
us to an equally troubling, less visible gap between the classes -- a
social capital gap. ''Social capital" describes the benefits of social
networks. Having friends and being involved in groups not only secures
jobs -- more Americans get jobs through who they know than what they
know -- but improves one's health, education, and happiness.

Relatively recently our hearts were pained by a sea of black and poor
victims, trapped on the Gulf Coast pre-Hurricane without an exit. We
notice that they were carless and lacked money for bus fare, meals, and
hotels. But far fewer notice that the poor were equally trapped by a
dearth of these social connections, especially crossing economic lines.
Specifically, they lacked affluent friends to give them a ride, lacked
contacts to negotiate heavily discounted hotel rates, and lacked
out-of-town relatives with extra bedrooms.

Alas, America's rich and well-educated have always had more social
capital than the poor, and those divides persist. For example, compared
against Americans with incomes over $100,000, the poor (incomes under
$20,000) were about half as likely to have befriended a business owner
or someone they considered a community leader, and belonged to half as
many nonchurch groups.

But recent evidence, discovered by Rebekah Crooks at Harvard using the
most reliable long-term surveys of youth, reveals that this civic class
gap is recently growing among American youth. Youth volunteering is up
since 1995, but the gap in volunteering between children with a
college-graduate mother and children with a high-school dropout mother
increased by almost 50 percent since 1976. Moreover, church attendance
is decreasing, but youth of dropout mothers are exiting religion at more
than four times the rate of children with college-graduate mothers. In
politics the gap between rich and poor youth is also widening in such
crucial areas as interest in government and intent to vote.

While political interest spiked after Sept. 11 for youth of all economic
backgrounds, there is no evidence that this class gap is closing. Since
the roots of adult civic involvement are nurtured in adolescence, these
ominous findings presage a tale of two civic Americas: an increasingly
civic ''have" class and a decreasingly civic ''have-not" class.

This is highly alarming in a perceived meritocracy. Class already
powerfully predicts many societal outcomes, like admission to select
colleges. And Americans already exhibit substantial subconscious racial
bias as experiments like the Implicit Association Test demonstrate. Now,
poor youth will be paying a triple penalty: fewer economic resources,
fewer opportunities due to biases relating to their skin color, and
fewer social ties to minimize these impacts.

How can we close the social capital gap between rich youth and poor
youth? It's too early to fathom the precise policy solutions. While
people have to make friends voluntarily, one can certainly publicize the
benefits of such friendships and dramatically increase the opportunity.
For example, having youth at age 18 perform a year of mandatory national
or community service in diverse groups would likely increase cross-race
and cross-class social ties. The military does this well, as do some
private youth service groups like City Year.

Moreover, we ought to ensure that in our rush to teach the 3 R's in
inner city schools we don't forget to teach the 2 C's (connections and
community). Youth, especially poor youth, ought to learn about social
capital and understand the social cost they'll pay for not building
these ties. Skills are also important: Institutions like churches and
unions were cornerstones in teaching poor Americans how to run meetings,
petition others, mobilize comrades, and build lasting friendships. Given
the declines in union membership and church-going among poor youth, we
must find other settings to cultivate such skills. And we ought to offer
fun at-school and after-school programs that build stronger social ties
among poor youth and between poor youth and better-off youth. These ties
may one day, in the face of tragedy, be the difference between life and
death.

Poor youth may never develop social ties as strong as the affluent, but
we should ensure that we don't send poor adolescents to life's starting
line with weights around their ankles.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/11/14/a_friend_in_need/