[Mb-civic] CIA Article Sidebar: A Story of Deja Vu - Howard Kurtz - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Nov 14 04:11:08 PST 2005

CIA Article Sidebar: A Story of Deja Vu
Some Critics See a Plame Parallel

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, November 14, 2005; Page C01

Dana Priest, and her newspaper, are being hit from both sides.

Some conservatives are furious over her Washington Post story this month
disclosing that the CIA has been hiding and interrogating terror
suspects at secret prisons in Eastern Europe. And some liberals are
angry that The Post agreed to a request by senior U.S. officials not to
name the countries involved.

"We are being accused of being in the pocket of the administration,"
Priest says. "One student called me up from a Virginia university to
tell me they were burning the paper at a protest, because we're
complicit in torture."

With the House intelligence committee launching an investigation into
the leak of classified information and the CIA referring the matter to
the Justice Department, the controversy could mushroom into another
Valerie Plame fracas. If prosecutors get involved, Priest could face the
same dilemma that confronted Time's Matt Cooper and former New York
Times reporter Judith Miller: whether to reveal confidential sources
under threat of imprisonment.

"Judy Miller went to jail," said author and radio host Bill Bennett, a
fierce critic of the Post story. "This woman might have to go to jail
too. . . . The hypocrisy here is for the media establishment to say some
great wrong was done to Valerie Plame, but where is the outrage about
Dana Priest?"

Says Priest: "My overall goal is to describe how the government is
fighting the war on terror, and that gets you right to the CIA. This is
a tactic. People can read it and decide whether that's good or bad."

Leonard Downie, the Post's executive editor, says: "There was a lot of
debate about every aspect of the story to make sure we were balancing
legitimate national security concerns with informing our readers about
important things that were being done in their name by the government.
There were a number of discussions with senior U.S. officials, and we
had a number of discussions in the office over several days with Dana
and her editors."

Both the Nov. 2 prison story and the 2003 outing of Plame as a CIA
operative relied on unnamed sources giving reporters secret information.
In the Plame case, however, senior officials were trying to discredit
White House critic Joe Wilson by focusing on the role of his wife in his
inquiry into whether Iraq was trying to acquire nuclear material. Many
on the left have cheered the resulting perjury and
obstruction-of-justice charges against former vice-presidential aide I.
Lewis "Scooter" Libby, and Democrats want a stepped-up congressional
probe of the administration's prewar intelligence.

On the prison story, the unnamed officials -- U.S. and foreign -- were
exposing an interrogation program that raises civil liberties concerns
on the left. Many on the right are denouncing what they see as the
damage to national security, and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist
(R-Tenn.) -- who joined House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) in
demanding an investigation -- says he is more concerned about the leak
than the secret prisons. Downie and Priest declined to comment on any
leak investigation.

But others have plenty to say. John Hinderaker, an attorney and blogger,
says on the Web site Power Line: "It would be a great thing if the
steady stream of illegal anti-administration leaks out of the CIA and
the State Department could be shut down, and some of the Democrat
leakers imprisoned. It's time to put the Plame farce to a good use."

Bennett condemned the Post article on National Review Online as
"irresponsibility at its highest," saying it would endanger Americans
and their allies in the middle of a war. "It's the old question,"
Bennett says in an interview. "Whose side are you on?"

Peter Kornbluh, senior analyst at the nonprofit National Security
Archive, calls Priest a "brilliant reporter" and says she and The Post
deserve credit for "groundbreaking work," and "her sources deserve
credit for being courageous, too." But he sharply criticizes the paper's
decision not to name the Eastern European countries, two of which were
later identified by the Financial Times and other news outlets, citing
information from the group Human Rights Watch.

(continued)...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/13/AR2005111301297.html?nav=hcmodule