[Mb-civic] CBC News - KARZAI STRIKES OUT WITH BUSH

CBC News Online nwonline at toronto.cbc.ca
Mon May 23 16:05:58 PDT 2005

This email has been sent to you by harry.sifton at sympatico.ca
The following is a news item posted on CBC NEWS ONLINE
at http://www.cbc.ca/news
KARZAI STRIKES OUT WITH BUSH
WebPosted Mon May 23 11:59:25 2005

washington---There was little movement on a series of issues between the
United States and Afghanistan during a meeting in Washington, comments by
the leaders of the two countries indicated on Monday.

Before his meeting with U.S. President George W. Bush, Afghan
President Hamid Karzai said he wanted more say in the relationship,
including control over U.S. forces and improvements for Afghan
prisoners in U.S. custody.

FROM MAY 21, 2005: Afghan president wants more control over U.S. forces

On the U.S. side, a leaked diplomatic cable said the government was
concerned about Karzai's failure to cut back the poppy crops used to
make opium.

FROM MAY 22, 2005: Afghan president denies he's soft on opium fight

At a media briefing after the private meeting, Bush rejected two key
Karzai demands, while the Afghan leader said he hoped the poppy crop
could be wiped out, but it would take six years.

Bush said "of course" U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan will remain under U.S.
command, and Afghan prisoners it holds will be released "over time."

Karzai, who had earlier condemned the treatment of Afghan prisoners and
demanded "very, very strong" action by the United States, on Monday said
"we are of course sad about [the treatment of prisoners]."

Bush said, "we will consult with Afghanistan if it perceives its
territorial integrity, independence or security is at risk."

Bush also said he made it "very clear" to Karzai that the poppy crop must
be eradicated.

The president praised Karzai, who was democratically elected and has
backed the fight against the Taliban and insurgents.

The two countries signed a "strategic partnership" that entails exchanges
on common issues.

"It's important for the Afghan people to understand we have a strategic
vision for Afghanistan," Bush said.

Copyright (C) 2005 CBC. All rights reserved.