[Mb-civic] A Right-Wing Coup at PBS & the CPB? A Roundtable Discussion on the Future of Public Broadcasting

hecate at diamonddragon.com hecate at diamonddragon.com
Thu May 12 07:32:00 PDT 2005

Hecate  ( hecate at diamonddragon.com )
sent you this story from democracynow.org

at PBS !!!

|  A ‘Right-Wing Coup’ at PBS & the CPB? A Roundtable Discussion on the Future of Public Broadcasting
|  http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/12/1426203

On Wednesday, Reps. David Obey (D-WI) and John Dingell (D-MI) called for an investigation of the Corporation Public Broadcasting. This comes following accusations that the CPB has been largely taken over by conservatives who are influencing programming and hiring decisions. Obey requested that the Inspector General for the CPB, investigate whether the CPB is violating the Public Broadcasting Act of 1967 that prohibits interference by federal officials over the content and distribution of public programming, and forbids "political or other tests" from being used in CPB hiring decisions.

We speak with Obey as well as PBS host Tavis Smiley, PBS board member Norman Ornstein, Jeff Chester of the Center for Digital Democracy and media analyst Robert McChesney, who is organizing this weekend’s National Conference on Media Reform.
This story continues at: