[Mb-civic] MoveOn.org: Making Peace With the War in Iraq

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 17 18:53:33 PST 2005

After reading this I went to the MoveON website and left a strongly
worded comment (by going to the lower right corner of home page,
clicking the "speak out" link, then clicking the orange "submit your own
comment" box).

Published on Thursday, March 10, 2005 by CommonDreams.org
MoveOn.org: Making Peace With the War in Iraq
by Norman Solomon

Sadly, it has come to this. Two years after the invasion of Iraq, the
online powerhouse MoveOn.org -- which built most of its member base
with a strong antiwar message -- is not pushing for withdrawal of U.S.
troops from Iraq.

With a network of more than 3 million "online activists," the MoveOn
leadership has decided against opposing the American occupation of
Iraq. During the recent bloody months, none of MoveOn's action alerts
have addressed what Americans can do to help get the U.S. military
out of that country. Likewise, the MoveOn.org website has continued to
bypass the issue -- even after Rep. Lynn Woolsey and two dozen
cosponsors in the House of Representatives introduced a resolution in
late January calling for swift removal of all U.S. troops from Iraq.

That resolution would seem to be a natural peg for the kind of kinetic
activism that established MoveOn's reputation. A movement serious
about ending U.S. military activities in Iraq could use the resolution as
a way to cut through political tap dances and pressure members of
Congress to take a stand. Down the road, generating grassroots
support for a get-out-of-Iraq resolution has potential to clear a
congressional pathway for measures cutting off funds for the war.

But, tragically, MoveOn's leadership is having none of it. Over a period
of recent weeks, the word "Iraq" appeared on the MoveOn.org home
page only in a plug for a documentary released last year. Inches away,
a blurb has been telling the website's visitors: "Support Our Troops:
Contribute your frequent-flyer miles so that American troops can get
home." (But not stay home.) Many soldiers are returning to the killing
grounds of Iraq, while a growing number are vocally opposed to this
war.

Why won't MoveOn "support our troops" by supporting a pullout of our
troops from Iraq? "We believe that there are no good options in Iraq,"
MoveOn.org's executive director, Eli Pariser, told me. "We're seeing a
broad difference of opinion among our members on how quickly the
U.S. should get out of Iraq. As a grassroots-directed organization, we
won't be taking any position which a large portion of our members
disagree with."

In sharp contrast, early in the 2004 primary campaign, MoveOn
committed itself to endorsing any Democratic presidential candidate
receiving more than 50 percent of the Internet ballots cast by its
activists. (Howard Dean fell shy of a majority, so there was no MoveOn
endorsement.) But now, evidently, a majority of MoveOn members in
favor of swift withdrawal from Iraq would be insufficient if a "large
portion" disagreed.

When I asked Eli for clarification, he replied: "We've been talking with
our members continuously on this issue. We've surveyed slices of our
membership in January and in December, and surveyed our whole
membership last spring. That's how we know there's a breadth of
opinion out there."

But last spring was a year ago. And any surveying of "slices of our
membership in January and in December" came before the Woolsey
resolution offered an opportunity to find out how the MoveOn base
views the measure. In any event, there will always be "a breadth of
opinion" about this war -- a fact that does not trump the crucial need
for clarity of purpose.

If MoveOn leaders were willing to submit the House get-out-of-Iraq
resolution to MoveOn's rank-and-file in an up-or-down vote, the
chances of a substantial majority would be excellent. Too bad the
leadership of MoveOn.org is currently unwilling to find out.

The 29 members of the House now sponsoring the resolution are
hardly radicals. They recognize the kind of grisly consequences of
equivocation that occurred during the Vietnam War: Refusal to speak
forthrightly about the urgent need to end military involvement only fuels
the war's deadly momentum.

It's all well and good for MoveOn.org to do superb work in the current
battle over the future of Social Security. And it's very helpful to
excoriate President Bush for his many big lies in the lead-up to the
invasion of Iraq. But such activities don't make up for going along with
the basics of the present-day Iraq war.

When a large progressive organization takes the easy way and makes
peace with war, the abdication of responsibility creates a vacuum.
Ironically, a group that became an Internet phenom by recognizing and
filling a void is now creating one. And other groups are bound to
emerge to fill it.

Among the emerging organizations is Progressive Democrats of
America (www.pdamerica.org), a fledgling national group with an
activist focus on the Iraq war that is laudably straightforward. "We're
organizing a new campaign in every Congressional District we can to
call for the end of funding for war and occupation, and for the transfer
of reconstruction assistance to Iraqis themselves," says Tim Carpenter
of PDA. He contends that "public pressure can awaken Congress to an
opposition role."

War in Iraq requires continual funding, of course, so President Bush's
new supplemental boost of $80 billion in war appropriations has been
moving through Congress in recent days. Tacitly accepting the war's
continuation, MoveOn declined to take a stand against the essence of
congressional backing for the war -- the money that keeps paying for it.
Meanwhile, PDA launched an effort against the $80 billion; the
organizing included a National Call-In Day aimed at members of
Congress on March 10.

MoveOn.org pioneered the use of email and web technologies as
creative tools to further its political agenda. Now that the MoveOn
agenda on the Iraq war has tumbled into the shallow depths of the
Potomac, some similar online activism will be needed if MoveOn's dive
is going to be merely temporary. So, to help get the cyber-ball rolling,
please forward this article around the Internet and post it where
appropriate.

Friends don't let friends drive drunk, and peace advocates do a lot
more than shrug when a previously great antiwar organization starts to
get lost.

If MoveOn continues to abandon its antiwar base, that base will get the
picture -- and move on.

Norman Solomon's latest book, "War Made Easy: How Presidents and
Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death," will be published in early
summer. His columns and other writings can be found at:
www.normansolomon.com

###

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell