[Mb-civic] Fixer-Upper Nation - Eugene Robinson - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Jul 22 04:09:37 PDT 2005

Fixer-Upper Nation

By Eugene Robinson
Friday, July 22, 2005; Page A23

This country is falling apart, and that's no figure of speech. We need
an extreme makeover in concrete and steel, and we need it now.

This is a problem I can't blame on George W. Bush, for a change. Well,
sure, I can blame him some, but he has to stand in line behind all the
other presidents, members of Congress, governors, state legislators and
mayors who have let the nation's plumbing rust, its wiring fray, its
floor joists warp and its walkways crumble. If this were a house, the
neighbors would have called the county inspectors long ago.

At first I thought it was just here, in the nation's capital and
environs, where the infrastructure had deteriorated to what sometimes
seems like Third World standards. In some cases, make that below Third
World standards. In most of the developing countries I've visited, for
example, they manage to keep the power on during a garden-variety
thunderstorm. But here, in the most powerful city in the world -- a city
of humid summers, where thunderstorms are to be expected all season long
-- all it takes is a few flashes of lightning, and inevitably at least a
few thousand households are left in the dark.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/21/AR2005072102195.html?nav=hcmodule