[Mb-civic] Specter Threatens an End Run To Get Vote on Stem Cell Bill - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Jul 22 04:07:59 PDT 2005

Specter Threatens an End Run To Get Vote on Stem Cell Bill

By Rick Weiss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, July 22, 2005; Page A05

With prospects dimming for a simple Senate vote on a bill to loosen
President Bush's restrictions on human embryonic stem cell research,
Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) threatened yesterday to circumvent the
political logjam by attaching the wording to the appropriations bill for
the Department of Health and Human Services.

"I don't like to put it on an appropriations bill, but we waited long
enough," a frustrated Specter told reporters in the Capitol. The
strategy, he said, is a "fall-back position which I have avoided up 'til
now."

<>Specter is a lead sponsor of a bill, passed by the House in May, that
would allow taxpayer dollars to be used to conduct research on medically
promising stem cells derived from embryos that are destined to be
discarded by fertility clinics. Such cells are off-limits to federally
funded scientists under the policy Bush set in 2001. The bill, which
polls indicate has broad support and has been considered sure to pass in
the Senate, could trigger a showdown with Bush, who has promised a veto.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/21/AR2005072102061.html?nav=hcmodule