[Mb-civic] Might as Well Dance - Eugene Robinson - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 04:35:44 PDT 2005

Might as Well Dance

By Eugene Robinson
Tuesday, July 19, 2005; Page A21

The news this summer could best be described as grim and grimmer. So
what was the biggest hit on television? ABC's "Dancing With the Stars,"
a spun-sugar confection in which not-quite-stars partnered with
professional ballroom dancers to compete in the passionate tango, the
grueling quickstep and the PG-13 rumba.

And what show is being touted by TV insiders as the next big thing?
Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance" (debuting Wednesday), which is
described as basically "American Idol" with trips and stumbles instead
of butchered high notes. As far as television is concerned, this is
shaping up to be a Busby Berkeley kind of summer.

<>It makes sense that Tom Cruise and all those extras in "War of the
Worlds" wouldn't be the only ones trying desperately to escape
oppressive reality. Except for watching the White House squirm over the
Karl Rove scandal, which I admit I find quite satisfying, there's
precious little joy to be extracted from current events.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/18/AR2005071801328.html