[Mb-civic] Was Bosnia Worth It? - Richard Holbrooke - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 04:34:01 PDT 2005

Was Bosnia Worth It?

By Richard Holbrooke
Tuesday, July 19, 2005; Page A21

If you wonder whether the 1995 American intervention in Bosnia was the
right decision, go to a really horrible place, one whose name has become
synonymous with genocide and Western failure. Go to Srebrenica.

<>Ten years after Bosnian Serbs under the command of Gen. Ratko Mladic
murdered 7,000 Muslims there, I found myself back in that valley of evil
as part of the official American delegation representing President Bush
and the nation. We walked across muddy fields, under leaden skies,
through a vast throng of victim families who were burying more than 600
of their loved ones, their grief and personal hatred of those who had
done this undiminished by the passage of a decade.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/18/AR2005071801329.html?nav=hcmodule