[Mb-civic] Europe's Native-Born Enemy - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Jul 15 03:36:18 PDT 2005

Europe's Native-Born Enemy

By Charles Krauthammer
Friday, July 15, 2005; Page A23

Last Nov. 2 Theo van Gogh, Dutch filmmaker and descendant of the
painter, was cycling through Amsterdam. He was accosted by Mohammed
Bouyeri, who shot him six times as van Gogh pleaded, "We can still talk
about it! Don't do it!" Bouyeri then cut his throat with a kitchen
knife, practically severing his head. Bouyeri was not done. He then took
a five-page Islamist manifesto and with his knife impaled it on van
Gogh's chest.

On trial now in the Netherlands, Bouyeri is unrepentant. In court he
turned to van Gogh's grieving mother and with infinite cruelty said to
her, "I do not feel your pain."

<>He feels instead glory. Van Gogh had made a short film about the
oppression of Muslim women. Bouyeri was acting "purely in the name of my
religion," championing his faith by butchering a filmmaker critical of it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/14/AR2005071401697.html?nav=hcmodule