[Mb-civic] From Average Joe to Jihadist - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Jul 15 03:34:42 PDT 2005

 From Average Joe to Jihadist

By Eugene Robinson
Friday, July 15, 2005; Page A23

Here's a cheery thought: The more we learn about the deadly bombings in
the London Underground, the more it seems there's nothing anyone could
have done to prevent them.

I should say almost nothing, since there were a couple of long-shot
chances. The powerful explosives used to blow up three subway trains and
a double-decker bus on 7/7 wouldn't have been in stock at the local
hardware store; authorities might have intercepted this material before
it reached the bombers' backpacks. Also, if police are right in assuming
the suicide bombers were just fodder, whoever planned this atrocity --
possibly a hardened terrorist, possibly from overseas -- might have been
nabbed by a sharp-eyed immigration officer.

<>The likelihood, though, is that only luck was going to uncover this
plot, and luck isn't a plan.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/14/AR2005071401694.html?nav=hcmodule