[Mb-civic] Go easy on Blair

Jack Sullivan jack at visit.ie
Sun Jul 10 00:30:44 PDT 2005

Dear CB:

I like your mother. The commonweal is the point, and public problem solving is the open air theatre for elected democratic representatives to function.
We could more easily understand public policy makers if we called them actors in a theatre space -- playing out society's themes of conventional wisdom.
Conventional wisdom is the patch cloth of received knowledge that seldom suits the problem solving need. Genuine leaders weave new cloth from history.

So CB, your mother and I agree that a "leader" deals with the common good.

Politics is a hobby of mine. I once thought about it as a vocation. Thomas Jefferson attracted me. His wife had my mother's name and root origins.
I had opportunity. I let it go for the less strenuous activity of being a father to 12 children. Being a father shares attributes with a public policy person. Both live with their mistakes.
Correct judgment in the moment only reveals its meaning over time. Young people emerge guided by an ethos for the commonweal only after a sustained effort.
Imagine helping a child find meaning grounded in the Commonweal and you have some sense of the impossibility that a world leader confronts. The Jesuits teach it.

I have learned that Politics is all bickering unless the sweep of history can be perceived in the work of the actors revealing their interpretations of hope.

Particularly, with due regard to constraints, their work is a vast opportunity to become a Michelangelo or a Mussolini. The meaning of their work is more visible in the wake of their deeds. A thankless profession compensated by false privilege and threats from pride, the danger lurks always. Those who stand for politics enter the arena of life to be judged for what most are unable or like me, unwilling to do. Maybe one of my 12, steeled in the ethos of the common good, will feel the nerve to interpret it to the world.

The first step will deal with the problem of rejection like the man from Nazareth.  Most of the good ones go out onto the public stage with an image or persona so the average voter
can accept them from within the comfort space of conventional wisdom, while moving the public beyond that space into a new vision. Usually a theory or vision about the future beyond the current reality.

  a.. I think of the Kennedys who betrayed so much.
  b.. I remember Johnson who perhaps redeemed the mistake of blood letting in Vietnam in the massive social agenda that perhaps only he was able to politically enact. From a blood and gore point of view, many Black soldiers conscripted (not volunteered) into Vietnam as cannon fodder for the false pride and erroneous wisdom of military might, gained for their descendents the right to vote, sit in a restaurant, drink from a public water fountain, etc. perhaps forever into the future. I am reading The Known World. Jesse Jackson claims Johnson as the best American President - ever! Few others so less affected by his social agenda would agree.
Congratulations CB, we have managed with the help of your mother's wisdom, to get past the barrage of hand wringing about the current bloodbath for destiny's sake.
This surgical approach is required to understand a single universal value that we agree is a sine qua non, in a world class leader.

Are there any other benchmark qualities for elected, civic leadership? Aristotle's Poetics is a reliable source about human culture and the nature of drama.
 After all, we are involved in a serious drama, and the best leaders are really actors in a world class plot.

 Beware, CB, where all this is may be leading... Quo Vadis?

PS It will help the process of discourse - if we both agree and stipulate to 'concise our replies' by omitting that paid US soldiers are dying as part of their profession; and that Iraqi civilian death and destruction is the policy cost for some undetermined vision of the future shared by Bush and Blair. What I would like to ascertain - dispassionately if possible - is what is the unstated objective behind all their common bravado...

  a..    Is it akin to Roosevelt's hidden agenda to use Pearl Harbour to stimulate the American economy out of the Great Depression and other benefits urged by Churchill which we     now applaud from this historical vantage point that elevated the USA to a world class super power? Have the French always valued their cuisine over courage?

  a.. Did Truman's decision to drop "the bomb" that killed so many people mercilessly, that started the Cold War, that exported Capitalism, that gave Japan a privileged position in the Far East as the wedge between the two giant Communist powers? Thus giving Japan the means to their own end?

  a.. Is there something about starting a "Donnybrook" (excuse my Irish) in such a woebegotten places like Iraq and Afghanistan that affects the way the border between Israel and the Palestinians is quietly evolving, or the way that Saudi Arabia is being prepared for change management, or the relationship of France and Germany are aligning with Russia, Indeed that the Euro is in decline? That the new Pope is picking up where the old one left off?

So much to talk about and so little time. We must keep it simple. What do we look for in a leader, What is the effective policy of Western survival against the festering evil of terrorism born out of Saudi Arabia and deflected into Israel and on to the twin towers and now London?

CB we need a root and branch analysis of the future of capital society...to comprehend what is going on in Iraq. War is hell...what is policy behind it that was shared by those that went before us...Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, (Ford - ah hem) Reagan (Pope John and Thatcher) Bush 1 (Our Own and Dearest William Jefferson) Clinton and now Bush 2...do you see any consistent, effective patterns of world-class, elected, political management - amidst so many mistakes of judgement?

Dublinjack

PS We must cut this down for the sake of our other lives.