[Mb-civic] No Clarity About Iraq - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Jul 4 07:41:55 PDT 2005

No Clarity About Iraq

By William Raspberry

Monday, July 4, 2005; Page A17

The poll numbers are alarming -- 77 percent approval in a Post survey a
scant two years ago and 48 percent approval at the beginning of last
week. So it isn't surprising that the president's speech last Tuesday at
Fort Bragg was designed to reverse the disastrous trend.

What was surprising to me is how badly George Bush misdiagnosed the
reasons for the plummeting numbers. He seemed to think the numbers are
down because Americans have forgotten Sept. 11 -- five separate mentions
-- or because we've lost our will to take a stand or because we have
become complacent about terrorism.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/03/AR2005070301025.html?nav=hcmodule