[Mb-civic] Let the Senate Advise - Sen. Edward M. Kennedy - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Jul 4 07:40:07 PDT 2005

Let the Senate Advise

By Edward M. Kennedy

Monday, July 4, 2005; Page A17

Sandra Day O'Connor's retirement gives President Bush, elected by a
divided nation that has become even more divided, a unique opportunity
to unite us by choosing for the Supreme Court someone who can win
support from a broad bipartisan majority in the Senate and whom the vast
majority of Americans will be proud of.

Justice O'Connor's appointment to the high court is a useful model. Of
the 20 Supreme Court nominations I have seen, hers was one of the most
impressive. She was a Republican through and through who served the
state of Arizona with distinction as assistant attorney general, state
senator, trial judge and appellate judge. She was nominated by a
Republican president, Ronald Reagan, and was opposed by activists who
were even further to the right than he was, but Reagan stood by her. I'm
sure Reagan understood the importance, for the good of the country, of
avoiding a divisive battle over the first woman nominated for the
Supreme Court.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/03/AR2005070301024.html