[Mb-civic] Return of the Angry Man - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 08:54:44 PDT 2005

Return of the Angry Man
He might have simply disappeared after the Scream ended his presidential
hopes. But as head of the Democratic Party, Howard Dean is still going
to go to New Hampshire. And South Carolina. And Oklahoma ...

By Sally Jenkins

Sunday, July 3, 2005; Page W08

At some point in the next five minutes, Howard Dean is going to say
something that somebody won't like. He will say it in words chesty and
rough, with a voice that is raked out of the bottom of his throat. He
might call Republicans "plunderers," or he might call them "brain-dead."
Whatever he says, the sound of a politician speaking his actual mind
will cause his admirers and detractors alike to react as if they just
heard an explosion. The chatter fills the air like scattering flocks of
jackdaws: Check me on this, but did Howard Dean just call half the
country stupid?

Dean could stop saying these things -- but he won't. "Most of that
stuff, I don't regret," he says. It's mid-May, and the highly charged
chairman of the Democratic National Committee, a man described by his
own brother as "radioactive," sits in a room at the Park Plaza Hotel in
Boston, tilted backward in a chair. A crowded itinerary has taken him
from a union hall in Oklahoma City to a fundraiser in the Back Bay in
the space of a day, and he has been talking the whole way. "Of course,
I'm not always right," he says. "And I almost never take a poll before I
speak."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/28/AR2005062801074.html?nav=hcmodule