[Mb-civic] A Timely Reminder in '1776' - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 08:53:43 PDT 2005

A Timely Reminder in '1776'
By George F. Will

Sunday, July 3, 2005; Page B07

When George Washington, in a spiffy uniform of buff and blue, sitting
his horse with a grace uncommon even among Virginians vain about their
horsemanship, arrived outside Boston in July 1775 to assume command of
the American rebellion, he was aghast. When he got a gander at his
troops, mostly New Englanders, his reaction was akin to the Duke of
Wellington's assessment of his troops, many of them the sweepings of
Britain's slums, during the Peninsular War: "I don't know what effect
these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me."

You think today's red state/blue state antagonism is unprecedented?
Washington thought New Englanders "exceeding dirty and nasty." He would
not have disputed the British Gen. John Burgoyne's description of the
Americans besieging Boston as "a rabble in arms." A rabble that
consumed, by one sober estimate, a bottle of rum per man each day.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/01/AR2005070101821.html?nav=hcmodule