[Mb-civic] Bobby Kennedy Jr.

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 28 20:42:54 PST 2005

The Next Bobby Kennedy - Could be
Bobby Kennedy Jr.

By Knute Berger for SEATTLE WEEKLY
In 1968, a generation of progressive political leadership in this
country was wiped out when the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and
Sen. Robert F. Kennedy were gunned down. In a series of events
as effective as a Baghdad car bomb, we were deprived of what
could have been a combined 60 or 70 years of their leadership.
Think about it. RFK, had he lived, would be about the same age
today as Ronald Reagan was when he left office.
The day after the November election, I dug around in the Mossback
archives and found my Bobby Kennedy poster from the ill-fated year
of his presidential campaign. It sits in my office as a reminder that
once upon a time, Democrats weren't wimps. They could be tough,
hard-nosed crime and commie fighters, and at the same time, they
could talk to America in a way that appealed to the best in us.
Such is the power of hope. Such is the power of bighearted politics
that is also driven by guts. And such is the power of charisma.
Watching old footage of Bobby's 1968 campaign on PBS recently, I
was struck by the cross section of people who flocked to his banner:
young, old, blue collar, white collar, intellectuals, migrant workers,
African Americans, the middle class—people who responded to the
dreams Bobby embodied and encouraged.
But in Bobby, people also saw a ruthlessness that was necessary to
win a great cause. While we might look back and think of the high-
minded ideals of work, sacrifice, compassion, and justice that Jack
and Bobby both called us to, we also remembered that Bobby was
the guy who said, "Don't get mad, get even."
Anyone can have a dream, but as the Kennedys and King both
knew, you have to be tough to make that dream a reality.
When I first sat down to write this column, I was reluctant to talk
about the older Kennedys because the occasion for it is the
upcoming visit to Seattle by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Bobby's son (for
details, see SW This Week, p. 39). I didn't want to spend time
writing about the huge shoes he has to fill. But the fact is, for my
generation, his name demands that we check him out and inevitably
ask: Is hope alive?
RFK Jr. is an environmental advocate who says he intends one day
to run for public office. He is a vocal and harsh critic of the Bush
administration, and during my phone interview with him last week, I
was very impressed. A friend who has spent time with him remarks
about his smarts, his passion, his dedication to environmental
causes, and his focus. Also, how he clearly comes from a world you
and I don't inhabit: We don't go fly-fishing with foreign leaders, don't
have a name, legacy, or bank account that commands attention.
These are assets that many of the privileged have turned into
burdens (RFK Jr. himself has a drug conviction in his past), but at
51, Bobby Jr. is using them to make a difference. His book Crimes
Against Nature is a tough look at what the Bush administration is
really doing to the environment, and refreshingly, his eco-rhetoric
isn't the schoolmarmish mush that made you want to snooze when
Al Gore talked about the planet.
During our interview, I asked him mostly about the property-rights
movement. It is making new headway in Oregon and resurging here
in Washington as Tim Eyman and the development lobby consider a
new ballot initiative, similar to Oregon's recently passed Measure
37, which would compensate property owners if the value of their
land goes down as the result of zoning and land-use laws.
"It's a propaganda campaign to deceive the public," says Bobby Jr.
flatly. "There has never been a right to use your property in a way
that injures your neighbor's property." The property-rights
movement, he says, wants to exploit public assets for private gain.
"The property-rights advocates have turned property rights on its
head....If government had to pay you not to put toxics in the air,
not to dump sewage in water, the government couldn't print enough
money to do that. They're about destroying the whole notion of
community." They are asserting a constitutional right to pollute, he
says. "Look around at the communities that are the wealthiest, and
they have the most controls....If we all agree as a community to
obey these laws and guidelines, we'll all get richer."
He sees the media as the biggest hindrance to progress. The
consolidation of ownership of newspapers, TV, and radio stations
into a few corporate hands has pushed news executives to be more
concerned with the needs of shareholders than the public. As a
result, instead of substantive reporting, we get "sex, celebrity
gossip, and hawking pornography." The media-savvy right wing has
successfully painted environmental groups as tree- hugging
weirdos. But there's nothing more mainstream, Bobby Jr. says, than
wanting clean air and clean water for communities. Again, the
message has been turned on it head. "The left," he says, "needs to
start capturing the discourse of mainstream America."
Amen to that.
No politician is, or can offer, a panacea, but Bobby Kennedy Jr.
seems to have some of the qualities that liberal leaders need right
now. A gift for straight, tough talk and a knack for reminding us that
America isn't a collection of special interests, but people with many
common interests. As his father once said, the future will belong "to
those who can blend passion, reason, and courage in a personal
commitment to the great enterprises and ideals of American
society."
I sense that RFK Jr. has taken his father's words to heart.
kberger at seattleweekly.com

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell