[Mb-civic] More notes fromt the "Baghdad blogger" -- The Phantom Weapons...

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 18 21:21:42 PST 2005

This is another post from a female blogger in Baghdad.  It would be
right for every American to read and reflect on this.  Do your
part...pass it on....

Another from the woman in Baghdad. Let's hope she survives
Bush's "free election".

David

Subject: Baghdad's girl blogger

Baghdad Burning http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/

... I'll meet you 'round the bend my friend, where hearts can heal
and souls can mend...
- posted by river @ 11:06 PM

The Phantom Weapons...
The phone hasn't been working for almost a week now. We just got
the line back today. For the last six days, I'd pick up the phone and
hear... silence. Nothing. This vast nothingness would be followed by
a few futile 'hellos' and a forceful punching of some random
numbers with my index finger. It isn't always like this, of course. On
some days, you can pick up the telephone and hear a bunch of
other people screaming "allooo? Allooo?" E. once struck up a
conversation with a complete stranger over the phone because they
were both waiting for a line. E. wanted to call our uncle and the
woman was trying to call her grandson.

The dial-tone came about an hour ago (I've been checking since
morning) and I'm taking advantage of it.

The electricity situation isn't very much better. We're getting two
hours of electricity (almost continuous) and then eight hours of no
electricity (continuous). We still can't get the generators going for
very long because of the fuel shortage. Kerosene is really becoming
a problem now. I guess we weren't taking it very seriously at first
because, it really is probably the first time Iraq has seen a kerosene
shortage and it is still difficult to believe. They say in 1991 when
there was a gasoline shortage which lasted for the duration of the
war and some time after, kerosene was always plentiful. This isn't
the situation now. We're buying it for obscene prices and it's really
only useful for the lamps and the heaters.

It feels like just about everyone who can is going to leave the
country before the elections. They say the borders between Syria
and Jordan might be closed a week before elections so people are
rushing to get packed and get out. Many families are simply waiting
for their school-age children to finish mid-year finals or college
exams so they can leave.

This was an interesting piece of news a couple of days ago:

The United States has ended its physical search for weapons of
mass destruction (WMD) in Iraq, which was cited by the first
administration of President George W Bush as the main reason for
invading the country, the White House has said.

Why does this not surprise me? Does it surprise anyone? I always
had the feeling that the only people who actually believed this war
was about weapons of mass destruction were either paranoid
Americans or deluded expatriate Iraqis- or a combination of both. I
wonder now, after hundreds and hundreds of Americans actually
died on Iraqi soil and over a hundred-thousand Iraqis are dead, how
Americans view the current situation. I have another question- the
article mentions a "Duelfer Report" stating the weapons never
existed and all the intelligence was wrong. This report was
supposedly published in October 2004. The question is this: was
this report made public before the elections? Did Americans actually
vote for Bush with this knowledge?

Over here, it's not really "news" in the sense that it's not new. We've
been expecting a statement like this for the last two years. While we
were aware the whole WMD farce was just a badly produced black
comedy, it's still upsetting to hear Bush's declaration that he was
wrong. It's upsetting because it just confirms the worst: right-wing
Americans don't care about justifying this war. They don't care about
right or wrong or innocents dead and more to die. They were
somewhat ahead of the game. When they saw their idiotic president
wasn't going to find weapons anywhere in Iraq, they decided it
would be about mass graves. It wasn't long before the very people
who came to 'liberate' a sovereign country soon began burying more
Iraqis in mass graves. The smart weapons began to stupidly kill
'possibly innocent' civilians (they are only 'definitely innocent' if they
are working with the current Iraqi security forces or American
troops). It went once more from protecting poor Iraqis from
themselves to protecting Americans from 'terrorists'. Zarqawi very
conveniently entered the picture.

Zarqawi is so much better than WMD. He's small, compact and
mobile. He can travel from Falloojeh to Baghdad to Najaf to Mosul

whichever province or city really needs to be oppressed. Also,
conveniently, he looks like the typical Iraqi male- dark hair, dark
eyes, olive skin, medium build. I wonder how long it will take the
average American to figure out that he's about as substantial as our
previously alleged WMD.

Now we're being 'officially' told that the weapons never existed. After
Iraq has been devastated, we're told it's a mistake. You look around
Baghdad and it is heart-breaking. The streets are ravaged, the sky
is a bizarre grayish-bluish color- a combination of smoke from fires
and weapons and smog from cars and generators. There is an
endless wall that seems to suddenly emerge in certain areas to
protect the Green Zoners... There is common look to the people on
the streets- under the masks of fear, anger and suspicion, there's
also a haunting look of uncertainty and indecision. Where is the
country going? How long will it take for things to even have some
vague semblance of normality? When will we ever feel safe?

A question poses it self at this point- why don't they let the scientists
go if the weapons don't exist? Why do they have Iraqi scientists like
Huda Ammash, Rihab Taha and Amir Al Saadi still in prison?
Perhaps they are waiting for those scientists to conveniently die in
prison? That way- they won't be able to talk about the various
torture techniques and interrogation tactics...

I hope Americans feel good about taking their war on terror to
foreign soil. For bringing the terrorists to Iraq- Chalabi, Allawi,
Zarqawi, the Hakeems
 How is our current situation going to
secure America? How is a complete generation that is growing up in
fear and chaos going to view Americans ten years from now? Does
anyone ask that? After September 11, because of what a few
fanatics did, Americans decided to become infected with a collective
case of xenophobia
 Yet after all Iraqis have been through under
the occupation, we're expected to be tolerant and grateful. Why?
Because we get more wheat in our diets?

Terror isn't just worrying about a plane hitting a
skyscraper
terrorism is being caught in traffic and hearing the
crack of an AK-47 a few meters away because the National Guard
want to let an American humvee or Iraqi official through. Terror is
watching your house being raided and knowing that the silliest thing
might get you dragged away to Abu Ghraib where soldiers can
torture, beat and kill. Terror is that first moment after a series of
machine-gun shots, when you lift your head frantically to make sure
your loved ones are still in one piece. Terror is trying to pick the
shards of glass resulting from a nearby explosion out of the living-
room couch and trying not to imagine what would have happened if
a person had been sitting there.

The weapons never existed. It's like having a loved one sentenced
to death for a crime they didn't commit- having your country burned
and bombed beyond recognition, almost. Then, after two years of
grieving for the lost people, and mourning the lost sovereignty, we're
told we were innocent of harboring those weapons. We were never
a threat to America...

Congratulations Bush- we are a threat now.

- posted by river @ 10:53 PM

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell