[Mb-civic] Toronto couple donate 5 million

Harold Sifton harry.sifton at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 10 18:13:44 PST 2005

This just amazing, a $5 million donation from an elderly couple in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/01/10/pindoffs050110.html

The Canadian government has committed to meet $ for $ donations by charitable efforts until Jan 11th . (that means $10 million)

The Canadian government has pledged $425 Million over a 5 year period plus DART (Disaster Relief Response Team, medical etc.. 200  personal which is now in place in Sri Lanka) and other Military relief assistance costs, so it is not just a one off, it is a long term commitment.

So far the Canadian arm of the Red Cross has received $73 Million (again to be matched by the Canadian Government), Then there are the Canadian arms of World vision, Care, Oxfam, Unicef etc.....(again to be matched by the CDN)

At the end of the day, the effort is there to help a neighbour in our global community.

This is not much compared to what our neighbours to the south are and can do........and what other neighbourhoods are doing.

Later