[Mb-civic] Religion - Organised sports and other entertainment

Alexander Harper harperalexander at mail.com
Mon Jan 3 11:44:52 PST 2005

 I. If you are a Christian read your Bible - Matthew VI vs 1-18. Keep your religion and protestations of faith, good works, fasting etc PRIVATE. To wish to ram any religion down peoples' throats when you have got them all herded together for some non-religious event puts it on a par with a commercial break at the cinema or on TV and/or political propaganda and is demeaning both to many of the trapped listeners and, arguably, to the religion you are regurgitating at them. I can see no spiritual justification for it. At best it indicates deep insecurity on the part of the religion  concerned, at worst it smacks of manipulation and attempted mind control.

2. If you are not a Christian but have read Hemingway, then remember his 'built in shit detector' - and yours and mine - and take yours out and give it its 50,000 mile service for God's sake. Whenever anyone tries to lay unsolicited spiritual, ethical, religious, moral advice on you then as Oliver Cromwell might have said 'I beseech you in the bowels of Christ to consider the possibility..that they are working an angle'.

3. I have run out of patience.

Al Baraka