[Mb-civic] Patrick's "God and Evolution, Kristof"

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Mon Feb 14 20:54:00 PST 2005

Re:  Patrick's "God and Evolution, Kristof"

=====
Html was scrubbed ( as usual ).
the resulting url would not open
Michael
=======

The text of the article:

=======
An "analysis" of Democrats and Republicans from the Ladies' Home Journal in
1962 concluded: "Republicans sleep in twin beds - some even in separate
rooms. That is why there are more Democrats."

That biological analysis turns out - surprise! - to have been superficial.
Instead, modern science is turning up a possible reason why the religious
right is flourishing and secular liberals aren't: instinct. It turns out
that our DNA may predispose humans toward religious faith.

Granted, that's not very encouraging news for the secular left. Imagine if
many of us are hard-wired to be religious. Imagine if, as a cosmic joke,
humans have gradually evolved to leave many of us doubting evolution.

The notion of a genetic inclination toward religion is not new. Edward
Wilson, the founder of the field of sociobiology, argued in the 1970's that
a predisposition to religion may have had evolutionary advantages.

In recent years evidence has mounted that there may be something to this,
and the evidence is explored in "The God Gene," a fascinating book published
recently by Dean Hamer, a prominent American geneticist. Dr. Hamer even
identifies a particular gene, VMAT2, that he says may be involved. People
with one variant of that gene tend to be more spiritual, he found, and those
with another variant to be less so.

There's still plenty of reason to be skeptical because Dr. Hamer's work
hasn't been replicated, and much of his analysis is speculative. Moreover,
any genetic predisposition isn't for becoming an evangelical, but for an
openness to spirituality at a much broader level. In Alabama, it may express
itself in Pentecostalism; in California, in astrology or pyramids.

Still, it's striking how faith is almost irrepressible. While I was living
in China in the early 1990's, after religion had been suppressed for
decades, drivers suddenly began dangling pictures of Chairman Mao from their
rear-view mirrors. The word had spread that Mao's spirit could protect them
from car crashes or even bring them sons and wealth. It was a miracle:
ordinary Chinese had transformed the great atheist into a god.

One bit of evidence supporting a genetic basis for spirituality is that
twins separated at birth tend to have similar levels of spirituality,
despite their different upbringings. And identical twins, who have the same
DNA, are about twice as likely to share similar levels of spirituality as
fraternal twins.

It's not surprising that nature would favor genes that promote an
inclination to faith. Many recent studies suggest that religious people may
live longer than the less religious. A study of nearly 4,000 people in North
Carolina, for example, found that frequent churchgoers had a 46 percent
lower risk of dying in a six-year period than those who attended less often.
Another study involving nearly 126,000 participants suggested that a
20-year-old churchgoer might live seven years longer than a similar person
who does not attend religious services.

Partly that's because the religious seem to adopt healthier lifestyles -
they are less likely to smoke, for example. And faith may give people
strength to overcome illness - after all, if faith in placebo sugar pills
works, why not faith in God?

Another possibility involves brain chemistry. Genes that promote
spirituality may do so in part by stimulating chemical messengers in the
brain like dopamine, which can make people optimistic and sociable - and
perhaps more likely to have children. (Dopamine is very complex, but it
appears linked to both spirituality and promiscuity, possibly explaining
some church scandals.)

Evolutionary biologists have also suggested that an inclination to
spirituality may have made ancient humans more willing to follow witch
doctors or other leaders who claimed divine support. The result would have
been more cohesive bands of cave men, better able to survive - and to kill
off rival cave men.

Of course, none of that answers the question whether God exists. The
faithful can believe that God wired us to appreciate divinity. And atheists
can argue that God may simply be a figment of our VMAT2 gene.

But what the research does suggest is that postindustrial society will not
easily leave religion behind. Faith may be quiescent in many circles these
days, or directed toward meditation or yoga, but it is not something that
humans can easily cast off.

A propensity to faith in some form appears to be embedded within us as a
profound part of human existence, as inextricable and perhaps inexplicable
as the way we love and laugh.
===========

CheeseNote:  First, I find it hard to argue with strings of "maybes" that
lead into endless circles of "who knows".

Secondly, I think that any Faith that is "embedded within us", religion or
no religion, is a result of our Natural Beings realizing there is much more
to Life Itself (and beyond This Life) than just what we perceive, whether
our brains and (you name the various strains of) our indoctrinations refuse
to admit it or not.

Then, of course, there is that Faith which is a willful act, upon which most
religions of earth suck on and need to survive by sucking on daily, good or
bad.

As far as some people being genetically inclined more spiritually than
others.  Hogwash.  Of course, that's just my personal opinion.  However,
junk like that is what keeps right wing religious nuts thriving.  It's like
feeding bloody meat to a lion.  True or not, they love it.

As far as Dopamine, I smoked all of mine, hey, Richard, send me some
more....

:|

Cheeseburger

- Jesus said "Know ye not that your body is the temple of God."  Right, yes
he did.  Ok, if that's true, then I *am* a Church, and then I don't have to
go to Church and sit there with hypocrites for business purposes.  No, uh,
you still have to go to Church and sit there with hypocrites for business
purposes.  But I thought you just told me that my body was The Temple Of
God.  It is.  Well, then I *am* a Church.  You are not a Church.  Yes, I am.
No, you are not.  Up yours.  Jesus heard you say that.  That's ok, Jesus is
inside me beating the crap out of the moneychangers.  Uhh...  I give up on
you.  Oh ye of little faith.  I'm going to tell my geneticist on you.  Go