[Mb-civic] The Persian-American Filmmaker Cyrus Kar Describes Ordeal of Iraq Detention

Bahram Maskanian earth_email_list at venusproject.com
Sun Aug 28 10:08:05 PDT 2005

- By Noshir Mullafiroze

On August 24 and 25, I watched ABC-TV's Nightline program, where Ted
Koppel interviewed Iranian American Zoroastrian, Cyrus Kar about his
55-day imprisonment by the U.S. military in Iraq, and I was impressed by
some of his comments.

Cyrus Kar mentioned that he was born in Iran, came to the U.S. when 5
years old, became a U.S. citizen, served in the U.S. Navy, and was
filming a documentary on Cyrus the Great, founder of the first great
Persian empire and the world's first human rights charter, in Babylon
area, when he was arrested along with his Iranian cameraman and the
Iraqi taxi driver who admitted owning the timer devices found in the taxi.

Cyrus expressed a sense of betrayal by his government when even after he
was cleared of suspicion by FBI investigators who searched his home,
car, computer in Los Angeles, and gave him a Lie Detector test, he was
held for 55 days without being charged of any wrongdoing, and he was
denied his rights as a U.S. citizen to have an attorney, to call his
family, his U.S. Senator, or the U.S. Embassy in Iraq. It was only after
the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed a lawsuit against U.S.
government leaders on his behalf that he was released.

Cyrus commented that every such innocent prisoner (Iraqi or non-Iraqi)
who is held for long durations without being charged by the U.S.
military, would lead to creating several enemies of the United States
from among that prisoner's family members and friends. And, Cyrus
suggested that a more balanced policy to treat prisoners in a civil
manner will improve the U.S. image in Iraq.

As an Iranian / Persian community especially in America we should offer
needed help and support to Cyrus Kar and enable him to complete his
documentary, as he suffered financial and material loss during his long
imprisonment in Iraq. We, the Iranians / Persians must also be grateful
to him for publicizing the name of Cyrus the Great and his Human Rights
Charter on a national TV network watched by millions of Americans.

Filmmaker Cyrus Kar Describes Ordeal of Iraq Detention

Allegations of 'Wanton Hostility' While in U.S. Custody

READ MORE... http://www.venusproject.com/ecs/Cyrus_Kar_Filmmaker.html