[Mb-civic] Playing The Shiite Card - David Ignatius - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 04:08:34 PDT 2005

Playing The Shiite Card

By David Ignatius
Friday, August 26, 2005; Page A21

America is finally having its great debate over the Iraq war. In that
debate, it's worth listening to a young Iraqi Shiite cleric named Ammar
Hakim. He speaks for the people who arguably have gained the most from
America's troubled mission in Iraq and, to a surprising extent, still
believe in it.

Hakim, 34, is the oldest son of Abdul Aziz Hakim, the leader of the
Iranian-backed Shiite party known as the Supreme Council for the Islamic
Revolution in Iraq, which is probably the most potent political force in
the country today. He now lives in Najaf, the Shiite equivalent of the
Vatican, where he helps direct the party's social and charitable
network. But he and his family lived 23 years in exile in Iran. To put
it bluntly, Hakim represents what might be called the "Shiite card" in
the Iraqi poker game.

I met Hakim a week ago during his first visit to the United States. He
made quite a sight when he arrived for breakfast, dressed in his black
turban and flowing clerical robes. Some of the other guests in the
dining room of the Watergate Hotel seemed to back away a bit, as if they
feared the visiting mullah might explode. I'm told he drew some stares
when he toured the Pentagon dressed in the same garb.

Hakim is a remarkably articulate man, with the spark of curiosity in his
eyes and a presence that we in the United States would call "star
quality." Whoever had the good sense to invite him here -- where he met
with officials at the State Department, Pentagon and National Security
Council -- should get a pay raise.

Hakim had a clear message during his visit, and it's one worth mulling
carefully as Americans ponder the new Iraqi constitution and the bitter
Shiite-Sunni tensions that have surrounded its drafting. If I could sum
up his theme in one sentence, it is that the United States should
continue to bet on democracy in Iraq -- which of necessity means relying
on Iraq's Shiite majority and the mullahs who speak for it. In essence,
he was calling for a strategic alliance between Najaf and Washington.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/25/AR2005082501616.html?nav=hcmodule