[Mb-civic] First Step? Admit There's a Problem - E. J. Dionne - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 04:05:57 PDT 2005

First Step? Admit There's a Problem

By E. J. Dionne Jr.
Friday, August 26, 2005; Page A21

SYDNEY -- History repeats itself in strange ways. Consider two statements.

"A slogan like 'stay the course' is unacceptable."

And: "Stay the course is not a policy."

The first quotation goes back to October 1982, when a Republican
candidate for governor of New York named Lewis Lehrman complained about
his party's national slogan during that year's midterm elections. Stay
the course, insisted Lehrman, who eventually lost narrowly to Democrat
Mario Cuomo, was a lousy theme in the face of a 10 percent national
unemployment rate.

The second quotation is of more recent, though still Republican,
coinage. Last Sunday, Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska laid into the Bush
administration's policy in Iraq. Hagel insisted that remaining in Iraq
over an extended period -- staying the course -- "would bog us down, it
would further destabilize the Middle East, it would give Iran more
influence."

President Bush continues to insist, at least in public, on doing what
he's doing. "We will stay, we will fight and we will win the war on
terror," Bush said in Idaho on Wednesday. But staying and fighting in
Iraq looks increasingly antithetical to winning the war on terrorism.
What is a superpower whose power has been dissipated by a deeply flawed
policy to do?

There was an electrifying moment here last week when a longtime friend
of the United States spoke up during a meeting of the Australian
American Leadership Dialogue, a group I've been part of for several
years. Kim Beazley, the leader of the Australian Labor Party and a
former defense minister, proposed an alternative that would admit the
errors of the past by way of salvaging America's influence for the future.

Beazley, who elaborated on his off-the record address in an interview,
argued that the war in Iraq, like the Vietnam War 35 years ago, was
"sucking the oxygen out of American foreign policy." The United States,
he said, needed to engage in "a phased extraction" from Iraq while
bolstering the war on terrorism elsewhere. He used the unlikely role
model of Richard Nixon, who gradually withdrew American forces from
Vietnam while engaging China and forcing the Soviet Union into arms
negotiations.

Beazley's metaphor was an arresting way of showing how mistakes in Iraq
need not permanently dent the United States' influence -- provided
America recognizes its mistakes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/25/AR2005082501615.html