[Mb-civic] What Makes People Gay? - The Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 04:42:13 PDT 2005

What Makes People Gay?
The debate has always been that it was either all in the child's
upbringing or all in the genes. But what if it's something else?

<>By Neil Swidey  |  August 14, 2005 - The Boston Globe

With crystal-blue eyes, wavy hair, and freshly scrubbed faces, the boys
look as though they stepped out of a Pottery Barn Kids catalog. They are
7-year-old twins. I'll call them Thomas and Patrick; their parents
agreed to let me meet the boys as long as I didn't use their real names.

Spend five seconds with them, and there can be no doubt that they are
identical twins - so identical even they can't tell each other apart in
photographs. Spend five minutes with them, and their profound
differences begin to emerge.

Patrick is social, thoughtful, attentive. He repeatedly addresses me by
name. Thomas is physical, spontaneous, a bit distracted. Just minutes
after meeting me outside a coffee shop, he punches me in the upper arm,
yells, "Gray punch buggy!" and then points to a Volkswagen Beetle
cruising past us. It's a hard punch. They horse around like typical
brothers, but Patrick's punches are less forceful and his voice is
higher. Thomas charges at his brother, arms flexed in front of him like
a mini-bodybuilder. The differences are subtle - they're 7-year-old
boys, after all - but they are there.

When the twins were 2, Patrick found his mother's shoes. He liked
wearing them. Thomas tried on his father's once but didn't see the point.

When they were 3, Thomas blurted out that toy guns were his favorite
things. Patrick piped up that his were the Barbie dolls he discovered at
day care.

When the twins were 5, Thomas announced he was going to be a monster for
Halloween. Patrick said he was going to be a princess. Thomas said he
couldn't do that, because other kids would laugh at him. Patrick seemed
puzzled. "Then I'll be Batman," he said.

Their mother - intelligent, warm, and open-minded - found herself
conflicted. She wanted Patrick - whose playmates have always been girls,
never boys - to be himself, but she worried his feminine behavior would
expose him to ridicule and pain. She decided to allow him free
expression at home while setting some limits in public.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/08/14/what_makes_people_gay/