[Mb-civic] Betrayed in Gaza - Eugene Robinson - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 04:38:11 PDT 2005

Betrayed in Gaza

By Eugene Robinson
Friday, August 19, 2005; Page A21

On television, the tumult in the Gaza Strip looks like nothing less than
a pogrom -- soldiers dragging Jews out of their homes and synagogues for
immediate, involuntary, permanent relocation. Does it matter that the
soldiers are Jewish, too? Not to the Jews being hauled away. Does it
matter that some of the most vociferous protesters don't even live in
Gaza and are just there to make a point? Not if you remember all the
Freedom Riders of the civil rights era who came from Massachusetts or
Michigan, not Mississippi.

What's happening in Gaza is geopolitically and historically correct, and
when seen from the proper altitude -- high enough that individuals blur
into groups -- it's morally correct as well. I agree with a succession
of U.S. presidents that the Israeli settlements in Gaza and the West
Bank are a roadblock to peace. I'm pleased that the Palestinians are
joyously reclaiming land that was taken from them in 1967, and I hope
this is a step toward the viable Palestinian state they deserve. I
believe the evacuation makes Israel more secure, not less.

In other words, I adhere to the orthodox liberal position on the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict. It's not a great position, I realize, just
far better than all the others.

But I can't watch those images from Gaza and ignore the low-altitude
personal tragedy that's unfolding. Histrionics and political theater
aside, children are being turned out of their homes. Prime Minister
Ariel Sharon told the settlers they should blame him, not the soldiers.
And they should.

They should also blame every one of the many Israeli politicians who
used them like pawns all those years and now are forsaking them for the
greater good. They should blame the hawks who encouraged them to move to
the occupied territories as a way of staking a claim to Greater Israel.
They should blame the doves who disingenuously allowed them to stay in
Gaza so that one day they could be used as a bargaining chip.

Yes, they should blame Ariel Sharon and the other leaders who planted
the dream in their minds, nurtured it, encouraged it to take root and
grow and blossom -- and then killed it. It was an overzealous dream, a
foolish dream, a dream so single-minded and devoid of empathy -- this
land is ours, although we have just arrived; you are usurpers, although
your great-grandfathers turned this soil -- that it was always
precarious, a castle made of Gaza sand. Imagine living amid such hatred
and resentment that you have to sling a loaded Uzi over your shoulder to
take your family to the beach.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/18/AR2005081801642.html?nav=hcmodule