[Mb-civic] Roberts Unlikely To Face Big Fight - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Aug 16 04:43:24 PDT 2005

<>Roberts Unlikely To Face Big Fight
Many Democrats See Battle as Futile

By Mike Allen and Dana Milbank
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, August 16, 2005; Page A01

Democrats have decided that unless there is an unexpected development in
the weeks ahead, they will not launch a major fight to block the Supreme
Court nomination of John G. Roberts Jr., according to legislators,
Senate aides and party strategists.

In a series of interviews in recent days, more than a dozen Democratic
senators and aides who are intimately involved in deliberations about
strategy said that they see no evidence that most Democratic senators
are prepared to expend political capital in what is widely seen as a
futile effort to derail the nomination.

Although they expect to subject President Bush's nominee to tough
questioning at confirmation hearings next month, members of the minority
party said they do not plan to marshal any concerted campaign against
Roberts because they have concluded that he is likely to get at least 70
votes -- enough to overrule parliamentary tactics such as a filibuster
that could block the nominee.

"No one's planning all-out warfare," said a Senate Democratic aide
closely involved in caucus strategy on Roberts. For now, the aide said,
Democratic strategy is to make it clear Roberts is subject to fair
scrutiny while avoiding a pointless conflagration that could backfire on
the party. "We're going to come out of this looking dignified and will
show we took the constitutional process seriously," the aide said.

"This was a smart political choice from the White House," said one
prominent Democratic lawmaker, who like several others interviewed for
this article requested anonymity because they were departing from the
Democrats' public position. "I don't think people see a close vote here."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/15/AR2005081501433.html