[Mb-civic] Kremlin Not Amused By Life of This Party - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Aug 16 04:41:40 PDT 2005

<>Kremlin Not Amused By Life of This Party
Political Antics Put Members on Trial

By Peter Finn
Washington Post Foreign Service
Tuesday, August 16, 2005; Page A08

MOSCOW -- The 39 defendants sat in cages lined up against the wall of a
Moscow courtroom one day this month. The prisoners, most of them
students in their teens and early twenties, were members of the National
Bolshevik Party, a radical opposition group with a penchant for tossing
eggs at officials, gate-crashing government buildings and generally
thumbing their noses at authority.

They are accused of creating a "mass disturbance" in December after they
burst into a reception room at the public offices of President Vladimir
Putin outside the Kremlin and waved a banner out the window that read,
"Putin Quit Your Job!"

But the prosecution of the political activists is part of a wider
government crackdown on the National Bolsheviks, a party with
ultranationalist roots that claims to have fashioned itself into a force
for democratic change and economic justice, including redistribution of
wealth.

The National Bolsheviks, whose name harkens back to the revolutionaries
led by Vladimir I. Lenin who founded the Soviet Union, were banned in
June by a Moscow court. Party lawyers said that was the first time a
political party had been outlawed in Russia since the fall of the Soviet
Union in 1991. The court held that the National Bolsheviks were intent
on "a forceful change of the foundations of the constitutional regime."

The Russian Supreme Court was scheduled to rule on the party's appeal of
that decision on Tuesday. "We are the most courageous party, we are the
most uncontrolled," said the group's leader, Eduard Limonov, 62, an
iconoclastic Russian writer who twirls his gray, Dali-esque moustache as
he speaks. "We want to create a climate of political freedom and so we
are very irritating to the Kremlin. We make the government crazy."

Occasionally, they even infuriate the lawyers trying to keep them out of
prison.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/15/AR2005081501434.html?nav=hcmodule