[Mb-civic] IMPORTANT - from the List Mama

Little Birdie lbirdie at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 29 05:58:40 PDT 2005

Hey Cheese (and anyone else interested...)

Michael didn't open the virus - his email address is just like yours in the
undeliverable emails you are getting back. Michael uses a Mac which is
blissfully immune to most viruses. Someone who uses a PC, and most likely
Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, and who has our emails addresses
(Michael, you, lamama, bunim murray productions...), as well as both the
Hair and Civic list, in their address book opened the virus. It is hard to
pinpoint the person who is infected. A good rule of thumb for those of us
using PCs is to never open attachments from ANYONE if they are not the usual
file extensions.For instance,  .jpg and .doc. and .exl and others that we
deal with regularly are fine. Avoid anything with unual file extensions,
like .scr and .pif or anything else you are not used to seeing regularly. If
it comes from someone you know, but has an odd extension email the person it
came from and ask them if they sent it and what it is BEFORE OPENING IT. Two
important things to remember: You must open the attachment in order to
become infected by the virus most of the time (although the virus makers
have come up with a few numbers that can be embedded in html in an email,
but that is still rare, and not what is going around the list at this
point). Secondly,just because your name appears as the sender of an infected
email it does not mean that you have the virus, rather that someone who has
you in their email address book has (or had) the virus. The single most
important thing that you can do is invest in a good anti-virus program, such
as Norton Anti-Virus or other similar programs, for your computer, and use
it regularly to scan all incoming email and your entire computer regularly.
And keep your virus definitions updated within the program.

If the list of email address above sounds suspiciously like anyone's address
book email me privately, at this address, and I can give you the specific
addresses at those domaines and you can see if you need to scan your
computer.

Hope that helps.
Nina

P.S. - to those in digest format please excuse my leaving Cheeseburger's
entire email attached below, but as I am sending this to the Hair list as
wel,l there are many who haven't seen the original post and need to read it
to understand what I amtalking about.

The Hair Archives
http://www.michaelbutler.com/hair/holding/Hair.html