[Mb-civic] IMPORTANT - from the List Mama

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Thu Apr 28 22:52:41 PDT 2005

IMPORTANT - from the List Mama

I'd like to put my 2 cents in on this one, maybe it will help someone, or
even help me.

Ok, I was wondering what was going on, as I am now receiving emails to
myself from my isp server saying "Mail Undeliverable", but it also says it
was sent originally to whomever by me at maxfury at granderiver.net, which it
wasn't.  This has been going on for about a week or so I think.

So, let me know, heh, this is serious, if Michael opened up a virus thing
and it scanned his Address Book, then that's why I'm getting "Undeliverable
Mail Returned" not sent by me to who knows how many people, but saying it
was sent from my email address, so whoever was in his Address Book it has
snapped up our email addresses and is sending viruses to countless people
with viruses in them saying that we sent them, heh.

Anyway, I was wondering what was going on.  Just for the record, I have not
received an email from anyone in a long time, I access the MB Civic List
from The Internet directly, and rarely if ever open anything from there in
my Internet Browser that says "attachment attached" or whatever.

In fact, I really wish people would NOT send attachments of any kind (I
don't know if that's possible or not) and rather than an ***Attachment***
(which a rather stout proportion of posts on the MB Civic Lists contain
*just* them rather than even just a body in the post) put *at least* a
website address instead where the information, jpeg or whatever can be
directly accessed.  But then again I'm just wishing.

Other than that, that's my take on it.  If anyone needs copies of the emails
of "Undeliverable Mail" that was/was not sent by me but returned to me
because of "Fatal Errors", I will gladly forward them on if they will be of
any use.

Let me know if it all gets fixed, what's going on, or if there will be
emails using my email address to send out viruses to people around the world
until the end of time or something.

All in all, I have a feeling this is not going to help me sell mesquite
bowls on the Internet, lol.

Thanks.

Cheeseburger

=========
Some emails with infected attachments have been sent to the lists today
- from email addresses of people who did not send them. Most have been
stopped by the filters as they came "from" unsubscribed addresses, but a
recent one made it through as it came from Michael B's subscribed
address, although he did not send it. When an email comes from a
subscribed address it automatically goes through without needing approval.

The way these viruses often work is that they copy the address book of
the infected computer, and then send out the virus using those addresses
which they insert randomly in the To and From fields. So if you have
Michael B. and the address <web at lamama.org> in your address book please
scan your computer as you may be sending the virus to other people
besides the list. (Mac users are safe)

So for now, beware of emails with attachments and do not open any
attachments with unusual  file extensions, such as .scr or .pif
Remember, you can't get a virus without opening the attachment, so no
need to get nervous.  But let's have 24 hours with no attachments sent
to the list please, to give Patrick time to check this out. Thanks.

Nina
=========