[Mb-civic] Naomi Klein--Why are we in Iraq?

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 28 15:06:42 PDT 2005

One month ago there was a teach-in on Iraq in Washington DC.
There were several very powerful and succinct presentations
about the war and its causes and effects.  Following is one by
Naomi Klein, which very clearly and concisely clarifies the
motives of the U.S. government....

http://www.ips-dc.org/iraq/teach-in/March-24-transcript-IPS.pdf

National Teach-In On Iraq: How Can We End This War March
24, 2005

We know the reasons we were told by President Bush
and his administration were lies. Lies about weapons of mass
destruction, lies about the socalled Iraqi nuclear program, lies
about the so-called links between Saddam Hussein and al-
Qaeda. All of them were lies. I™d like you to open tonight™s
presentations with some sense of why we really went to war in
Iraq. What was the real reason for the Bush administration
behind this invasion and this occupation?

Naomi Klein, Author, Filmmaker

I™m very thrilled to be here and I think that that is the central
question that we need to answer. Because when we identify the
reasons why we really went to war, not the cover reasons or the
re-branded reasons “ freedom and democracy “ but the real
reasons, then I think that we can become more effective anti-war
activists. Because the most effective way, the most strategic
way, to try to stop this war, to try to stop this occupation and
prevent future wars, is to deny the people who wage these wars
their spoils, to make war unprofitable. We can™t do that unless
we effectively identify the goals of war.

I also think it™s extremely important to understand that the most
powerful movement against this war and this occupation is
within Iraq itself. And that our movements must be not just in
verbal solidarity but in active and tangible solidarity with
movements in Iraq fighting actively to end the occupation of
their country. We need to take our direction from them.
So in terms of answering the question œwhy - obviously it™s
complex. I was in Iraq a year ago trying to answer that question
and one of the most effective ways I found to do that was to
follow the bulldozers, to follow the construction machinery
because I was in Iraq to research the so-called reconstruction.
And one of the things that really struck me most was the absence
of reconstruction machinery, of cranes and bulldozers in
downtown Baghdad. I expected to see reconstruction all over the
place.

I saw bulldozers in military bases. I saw bulldozers in the Green
Zone, there was a huge amount of construction going always
going on in the Green Zone, building up Bechtel™s hq, getting the
new U. S. embassy ready, there was always a ton of construction
going on at all of the  military bases. On the streets of Baghdad,
you would see the former ministry buildings absolutely
untouched still lying in rubble. They hadn™t even cleared away
the rubble, let alone started the reconstruction process.

The one crane I saw in the streets of Baghdad was hoisting a
billboard. I thought I was actually seeing reconstruction but as
we got closer what I saw was an advertisement being put up.
This is one of the surreal things about Baghdad right now is that
the old city lies in ruin but you see these shiny new billboards
advertising the glories of the global economy. And the message
is sort of œeverything you were before isn™t worth rebuilding. 
We™re going to import a brandnew country. I think of it as the
Iraq version of the œExtreme Makeover actually.

I don™t think it™s a coincidence that Americans were at home
watching this explosion of extreme reality television shows
where people™s bodies were being surgically remade and their
homes were being bulldozed and remade, because the message
of these shows of course is:

everything you are now, everything you own, everything you do
sucks. And we™re going to completely erase it and rebuild it with
a team of experts. You should just go limp and let the
experts take over. And this is exactly what the œExtreme
Makover Iraq version was.

There was no role for Iraqis in this process. It was all foreign
companies modernizing the country. And Iraqis with PhDs who
built their engineering system who built their telephone
system had no place in the reconstruction process at all. Also if
we want to know what the goals of the war are, we have to look
at what Paul Bremer actually did when he first arrived in
Iraq. He laid off 500,000 people, 400,000 of them were soldiers.
And he shredded Iraq™s constitution and wrote a series of
economic laws which The Economist magazine described as
œa wish list for foreign investment. 

Basically, they turned Iraq into a laboratory for the most radical
free-market policies that the American Enterprise Institute and
the Cato Institute dream about here in Washington, D. C. but
are only able to impose in relative slow-motion here at home.
But in Iraq, where there wasn™t a democracy, which was the
point, they were able to turn it into this kind a laboratory.
So we just have to look at their policies. We don™t have to wield
secret documents or have massive conspiracy theories. We just
have to look at what they did. We just have to look at the
fact that it was enduring military bases that they rebuilt. That
they didn™t rebuild the country. In their very first act of
protecting the oil ministry but letting the rest of the country burn,
this message from Donald Rumsfeld: œStuff happens.  This
almost glory and delight, this apocalyptic glee in allowing Iraq to
burn. Because in letting the country be erased, it was a
blank slate to be rebuilt in their image. This was the goal of the
war. We just have to look at what they did. We don™t have to
look at what they say.

---

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell