[Mb-civic] this is what theocracy looks like

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 14 17:42:43 PDT 2005

AlterNet
In Contempt of Courts
By Max Blumenthal, The Nation
Posted on April 12, 2005, Printed on April 14, 2005
http://www.alternet.org/story/21740/

Michael Schwartz must have thought I was just another attendee of the
"Confronting the Judicial War on Faith" conference. I approached the
chief of staff of Oklahoma's GOP Sen. Tom Coburn outside the
conference in downtown Washington last Thursday afternoon after he
spoke there. Before I could introduce myself, he turned to me and
another observer with a crooked smile and exclaimed, "I'm a radical!
I'm a real extremist. I don't want to impeach judges. I want to impale
them!"

For two days, on April 7 and 8, conservative activists and top GOP
staffers summoned the raw rage of the Christian right following the
Terri Schiavo affair, and likened judges to communists, terrorists and
murderers. The remedies they suggested for what they termed "judicial
tyranny" ranged from the mass impeachment of judges to their
physical elimination.

The speakers included embattled House majority leader Tom DeLay,
conservative matriarch Phyllis Schlafly and failed Republican
senatorial candidate Alan Keyes. Like a performance artist, Keyes riled
the crowd up, mixing animadversions on constitutional law with
sudden, stentorian salvos against judges. "Ronald Reagan said the
Soviet Union was the focus of evil during the cold war. I believe that
the judiciary is the focus of evil in our society today," Keyes declared,
slapping the lectern for emphasis.

At a banquet the previous evening, the Constitution Party's 2004
presidential candidate, Michael Peroutka, called the removal of Terri
Schiavo's feeding tube "an act of terror in broad daylight aided and
abetted by the police under the authority of the governor." Red-faced
and sweating profusely, Peroutka added, "This was the very definition
of state-sponsored terror." Edwin Vieira, a lawyer and author of How to
Dethrone the Imperial Judiciary, went even further, suggesting during a
panel discussion that Joseph Stalin offered the best method for reining
in the Supreme Court. "He had a slogan," Vieira said, "and it worked
very well for him whenever he ran into difficulty: 'No man, no problem.'"

The complete Stalin quote is, "Death solves all problems: no man, no
problem."

The threatening tenor of the conference speakers was a calculated
tactic. As Gary Cass, the director of Rev. D. James Kennedy's
lobbying front, the Center for Reclaiming America, explained, they are
arousing the anger of their base in order to harness it politically. The
rising tide of threats against judges "is understandable," Cass told me,
"but we have to take the opportunity to channel that into a
constitutional solution."

Cass' "solution" is the "Constitution Restoration Act," a bill relentlessly
promoted during the conference that authorizes Congress to impeach
judges who fail to abide by "the standard of good behavior" required by
the Constitution. If they refuse to acknowledge "God as the sovereign
source of law, liberty, or government," or rely in any way on
international law in their rulings, judges also invite impeachment. In
essence, the bill would turn judges' gavels into mere instruments of
"The Hammer," Tom DeLay, and Christian-right cadres.

Conference speakers framed the Constitution Restoration Act in
pseudo-populist terms--the only means of controlling a branch of
government hijacked by a haughty liberal aristocracy against the will of
the American people. As Michael Schwartz remarked during a panel
discussion, "The Supreme Court says we have the right to kill babies
and the right to commit buggery. They say the people have no right to
express themselves, that the people have no right to make laws. Until
we have a court that reflects a majority," Schwartz continued, his voice
rising steadily, "it is a sick and sad joke that we have a Constitution
here."

The right wing claims that judges should reflect majority opinion. But
what is the majority opinion? After DeLay and Senate majority leader
Bill Frist passed special bills ordering federal courts to consider the
reinsertion of Terri Schiavo's feeding tube, according to a Gallup poll,
Congress's public approval rating sank to 37 percent, lower than at any
time since shortly after Republicans impeached President Bill Clinton.
Meanwhile, 66 percent of respondents to a March 23 CBS News poll
thought Schiavo's feeding tube should be removed. The notion that the
Christian right's agenda is playing well in Peoria must be accepted on
faith alone.

The recent right-wing fixation on impeaching judges was
conceptualized by David Barton, Republican consultant and vice
chairman of the Texas GOP. In 1996 Barton published a handbook
called "Impeachment: Restraining an Overactive Judiciary," which was
timed to coincide with Tom DeLay's bid for legislation authorizing
Congress to impeach judges. "The judges need to be intimidated,"
DeLay told reporters that year.

In 1989 Barton published a book titled The Myth of Separation, which
proclaims, "This book proves that the separation of church and state is
a myth." The Baptist Joint Committee on Public Affairs, in a critique of
his 1995 documentary America's Godly Heritage, stated that it was
"laced with exaggerations, half-truths, and misstatements of fact."
Barton is on the board of advisers of the Providence Foundation, a
Christian Reconstructionist group that promotes the idea that biblical
law should be instituted in America. In 1991 Barton spoke at a
Colorado retreat sponsored by Pastor Pete Peters, an adherent of
racist Christian Identity theology with well-established neo-Nazi ties.
During the 2004 presidential campaign, the Republican National
Committee hired him as a paid consultant for "evangelical outreach."
The RNC sponsored more than 300 events for him.

DeLay's bill, based on Barton's writings, failed due to lack of GOP
support. But the judicial impeachment campaign was reignited six
years later when a federal court ordered the removal of then-Alabama
Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore's Ten Commandments
monument from courthouse grounds. In February 2004 a group of
about 25 enraged ministers and movement leaders gathered in Dallas
to plot a new response. The Constitution Restoration Act was the
result. According to Moore, he was a principal author, along with Herb
Titus, the former dean of Pat Robertson's Regent University law
school, and Howard Phillips, a veteran third-party activist whose U.S.
Taxpayers' Party served as a vehicle for the antigovernment militia
movement during the 1990s. All three men stalked the halls of the
downtown Marriott last Thursday and Friday.

In the Senate the bill was sponsored by Richard Shelby, a senator
from Roy Moore's home state; among the co-sponsors is Senator Sam
Brownback of Kansas, who is contemplating a run for the Republican
nomination for President. The bill was introduced on March 3, before
the Terri Schiavo affair erupted, before Florida Circuit Judge George
Greer ordered the removal of her feeding tube and before he became
the poster-child for the right's judicial impeachment campaign.

Now, according to Howard Phillips in a speech to the conference, his
"good friend" Wisconsin GOP Rep. James Sensenbrenner is planning
to hold hearings on the Constitution Restoration Act in the House.
DeLay, who appeared on a big screen during a Thursday morning
session to call for the removal of "a judiciary run amok," has put his
name on the act as the House sponsor.

The Schiavo case remains the flashpoint for the right. That was
apparent at a Thursday evening banquet honoring the lead attorney for
Terri Schiavo's parents, David Gibbs. After a breathless introduction
from Peroutka, who called the removal of Schiavo's feeding tube "an
act of terror," Gibbs confidently strode to the lectern while a crowd of
about 100 regaled him with a thunderous standing ovation. Baby-
faced, with his hair molded tightly against his scalp and clad in a well-
tailored navy blue suit, Gibbs maintained a cool disposition during his
speech, presenting a sharp visual contrast to the wildly gesticulating,
bedraggled figures who held the microphone throughout most of the
conference. But Gibbs' impeccable appearance and measured tone
were not enough to mask the lurid nature of his speech.

First, Gibbs suggested that Schiavo fell into a persistent vegetative
state not because of an eating disorder but as the result of "some form
of strangulation or abuse at the hands of her husband, possibly." Then,
Gibbs asserted that after Schiavo's parents were awarded millions of
dollars by the state to provide for her care, Michael Schiavo "began
moving against the family to kill his wife." These claims, however, did
not hold up in court because, as Gibbs explained, "a judge that never
went to see [Schiavo] was the judge who made the decision that her
life did not matter."

As members of the audience gasped, Gibbs painted a vivid portrait of
Schiavo in her hospital bed. "Terri Schiavo was as alive as anyone you
see sitting here," he said. "She liked my voice. It was loud and deep
and she would roll over and try to talk back." But after Judge Greer
"literally ordered her barbaric death," everything changed.

Gibbs described his visit to Schiavo's hospital room after her feeding
tube had been removed. Schiavo lay in bed "with her eyes sunken
deep in her head ... she was skeletal," Gibbs recounted. "Then she
turned to her mother suddenly, like she wanted to speak, and she just
started sobbing." By now, members of the audience were crying.

As soon as he left the stage, one of the event's planners asked all the
men in the room to get down on the floor and pray. With no other
choice, I moved my plastic-upholstered chair aside, took to my hands
and knees and listened as plaintive voices arose all around me with
prayers for Schiavo's parents and maledictions against judicial tyranny.
A saccharine version of Pachelbel's Canon emanating from the player
piano in the hotel lobby seeped through the banquet hall's open doors,
suffusing the ceremony with a dreamlike atmosphere. When I finally
dared to look up from the ground, I realized that my head was only
inches from an enormous posterior belonging to William Dannemeyer,
the former congressman who once issued a letter to his colleagues
listing 24 people with some connection to Bill Clinton who died "under
other than natural circumstances."

As the conference attendees filed out of the banquet hall and into the
rain-flecked night, mostly silent except for the few who were still
sobbing, they seemed prepared to do anything--absolutely anything--
against judges. "I want to impale them!" as Michael Schwartz told me.

"This isn't Colombia. This isn't drug lords terrorizing the judiciary. It's
America," Florida Judge George Greer declared recently. Greer
remains under police guard.

On Monday, April 11, at Sen. Frist's invitation, David Barton will lead
him and other senators on an evening tour of the Capitol, offering "a
fresh perspective on our nation's religious heritage."

© 2005 Independent Media Institute. All rights reserved.
View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/story/21740/

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell