[Mb-civic] Administration Distorts Who Benefits from Tax Cut
The Daily Mislead
latest at daily.misleader.org
Fri Sep 24 10:53:11 PDT 2004
THE DAILY MIS-LEAD
< www.Misleader.org >
ADMINISTRATION DISTORTS WHO BENEFITS FROM TAX CUT
The administration and most of the mainstream press are billing the tax package passed by Congress yesterday as a "middle class tax-cut." The reality is that the new law is more of the same: tax cuts that benefit the rich and, in many cases, exclude the neediest families.
An analysis from the Urban Institute-Brookings Tax Policy Center shows that the middle 20 percent of earners "will receive an average tax cut of $162 in 2005 from this legislation." The top fifth of earners, however, "will get an average tax cut of $1,317." As a result, the top fifth will receive two-thirds of all benefits.
The bill excluded a provision that would have extended the child tax credit to four million low-income families who currently don't qualify. Extending eligibility to these families would have cost $4 billion. Meanwhile, conservatives included $12 billion in tax cuts for corporations.
1. "Congress Extends Middle-Class Tax Breaks," The Kansas City Star, 9/24/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=58032.
2. "New 'Middle-Class' Tax-Cut Bill Represents Cynical Policymaking," Center for Budget and Policy Priorities, 9/23/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=58033.
3. Ibid, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=58033.
4. Ibid, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=58033.
5. "Lawmakers Can't Resist Voting to Extend Bush's Tax Cuts," Los Angeles Times, 9/24/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=58034.
6. Ibid., http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=58034
7. Ibid., http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=58034
Visit www.Misleader.org from more about Bush Administration distortion.
Subscribe to the Daily Mislead! Go to http://www.misleader.org and enter
your e-mail address in the "Receive the Daily Mislead" box in the
top-left corner of the page.
To unsubscribe send an email to latest at daily.misleader.org with only the
word "remove" in the subject line of your e-mail, or visit
http://daily.misleader.org/unsubscribe/ and follow the instructions
More information about the Mb-civic