[Mb-civic] DDE's Farewell Warning

TSawyer456 at aol.com TSawyer456 at aol.com
Sat Oct 30 10:50:47 PDT 2004

Michael:

Tell me this isn't chilling...

Tom
_www.ThomasBSawyer.com_ (http://www.thomasbsawyer.com/)

…Until the  latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments
industry.  American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required,
make swords as  well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of
national defense;  we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments indus
try of vast  proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and
women are directly  engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on
military security  more than the net income of all United States  corporations.
This conjunction  of an immense military establishment and a large arms
industry is new in the  American experience. The total influence - economic,
political, even spiritual -  is felt in every city, every state house, every office
of the Federal  government. We recognize the imperative need for this
development. Yet we must  not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil,
resources and  livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our
society.
In the councils  of government, we must guard against the acquisition of
unwarranted influence,  whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial
complex. The potential  for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and
will  persist.
We must never  let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or
democratic  processes…
President Dwight David  Eisenhower
Farewell Address
January 17,  1961