[Mb-civic] Eyes Wide Open

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Mon Oct 18 01:32:52 PDT 2004

Eyes Wide Open

It's funny, sometimes, how one thing leads to another.  I was cruising the
net, looking for little obscure articles about things from America that
most people in even the next State have no idea ever occurred, using my old
outdated "American Newspapers" website where so many Links no longer work
(some still do, heh):

http://www.all-links.com/newscentral/northamerica/unitedstates.html

and decided at complete and utter random to go down a certain amount of
spaces in the American alphabet and the State that arrived at that junction
I would click on it to look at the newspapers in that State.

So I did.  But it didn't work.  Website doesn't exist here or
something.  So I kept clicking until I found one that worked next in
sequence, and this one popped up:

http://www.flagpole.com/

and I didn't really know where I was at, but I sat staring at the photo on
the page...  Some art exhibit or something in D.C. or something.  The
soldiers' boots or something sticking up out of sand with the White House
in the background was interesting...

So I wondered what that exhibit thing was all about, and looked at the
bottom of that page and it said something about "Eyes Wide Open", so I put
that phrase in my search engine and this website popped up:

http://afsc.org/eyes/

and I didn't really know where I was, again, of course, heh, so I clicked
on the "About Exhibit" button and part of it said:

Since 1917, the American Friends Service Committee has championed the
dignity and worth of every individual, the sanctity of human life and
humanity's collective responsibility to promote peace. For almost 90 years
of work in war zones on four continents, we have gained an intimate
knowledge of the costs and horrors of war.

When this exhibit was unveiled by our Chicago office in January 2004, there
were 504 pairs of boots symbolizing the lost lives of U.S. soldiers in Iraq.

With each passing week, each stop in a new city, more pairs of boots are
added to represent the newly fallen. Alongside the boots stands a wall of
remembrance with the names of the more than 11,000 Iraqi civilians who have
been killed since the U.S.-led invasion.

As the exhibit makes its appearances across the country, families and
friends come to grieve for lost loved ones and strangers honor those who
gave their lives to a cause far from home.

At each stop, person after person leaves notes of commemoration,
photographs of lost soldiers, identification tags, flowers, and American
flags to accompany the boots on their journey.

...and so I thought to myself, wow, it's like Michael Moore's "911" except
street theater-art by Necessity.

A simple collection of army boots and a wall with some names on it.

Touring America.

The ingeniousness that death, destruction and deception wrenches from us is
astounding.

Such utter devastating simplicity.

"Get some boots and a magic marker, Ma, we're goin' on tour...!!"

Many things have and will be written about all this, but I'll just be
whatever that term is and say these days will live in infamy for some time
to come.

In the Civil War in America, the North was turned against the South, and
visa versa.

However, today, we have been turned into "Us" and "Them", and turned loose
on each other as the crooks at The Top continue to cash in on us until they
use us up like they used our ancestors up and then throw them into rest
homes that are so underfunded it makes "Integrity At The Top Of America"
appear to be more like "Death To Your Granny, *sshole" than "No Child Left
Behind".

What a future The Children have to look to.  Astounding.

Production For Use.

Like in that old movie with Rosalind Russell and Cary Grant "His Girl
Friday" or something.

Earl Williams.  Production for Use.

We too as Americans, just like a gun, will be used until our usefulness is
simply no longer profitable.

If I had known that we were going to sell our childrens' childrens'
children's children into eternal slavery to mere profiteers, I would have
worn my best underwear.

But anyway, at that time, I became bored and sleepy, and just clicked back
onto the window at

http://www.flagpole.com/

and saw the article heading there of "Nude Model:  It's Not Easy", and I
thought of the good old days, closed my eyes, breathed a sigh, put my hands
behind my head, smiled, and remembered all the good times and the great money.

And then I got tired and went to sleep.

And how were 3 seconds of your life last night....?

No matter how they were, somewhere someone was dying on this planet for
lack of simple clean water, basic medicine equal to or below what they give
to monkeys in zoos, or poverty-level nutrition, and you sat on your ass and
read this while it was all happening.

Turn off your fucking computer.

Go outside.

Do something.

There is nobody coming to Save The Earth except you.

On another note, Texas had and still has one of the worst records of
Education in our schools, the state of Education across all America is
astoundingly statistically-documented as a now legendary travesty, yet the
lurid politicians of this age still have the balls to stand up on
international television and talk about "No Child Left Behind" lies as
nothing more than the enduring lineage of political bullshit artists that
would stoop to use the very children as a now well-known extremely
important stepping stone on their road to power, glory, and the salvation
of all us poor bums at The Bottom until the end of their desires.

Just like everyone else already has for forever now here.

Promises Promises.

I find that in extremely poor taste by people who call themselves cultured,
civilized, educated, and, boom, wise on top of it all.

Among a zillion other things.

But the old standing joke and routine of always expressing one's public
concern for but using the children, the old people, you, me, the butcher,
the baker, the candle stick maker, and never delivering the goods, has just
become over-stale with age, and I can't stomach that line of bs anymore,
it's just horrible and I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of hearing it.

Promise everyone everything.

Then when you're in office, f*ck 'em.

"And I want you to get up out of your chairs..!!  Go to your
window..!!  Open the window..!!  And stick your head out and scream 'I'm as
mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore...!!!!'.  I don't care
who you are, what you do, what you had for breakfast, what you believe, it
doesn't matter.  All I know is that FIRST you've got to get mad..!!  You've
got to say 'I'm a human being, dammit..!!  I matter..!!  I have
worth..!!!!'.........."

"That g*dd*mn lunatic..!!  Pull him off the air immediately, Bob....!!!!"

"Uh, but, sir, I ratings just took a huge 20 percent share leap..."

"Give that man his own show, dammit...!!  Give him anything he
wants...!!  What do I pay you for.....!!"

I always loved that movie with that guy in it.  I think he had a bit part
as a process server in "First Men On The Moon" or something...

"Network" was such a good parody of what took hold of America so long ago.

The only problem we've always had is that we just can never get enough
people to their windows.

I can't remember that actor's name, hmmm...  I think he was in "Wolfen" also...

Aaaaooooooooo.......    >:>

Well, yawn.......... <stretch>...  I'm tired...  I'll leave this midnight
mousse with some old words of Aristotle, who sometimes I think was right
on, but sometimes he drank one skein of wine too much, and, well the rest
is history...

"It is not always the same thing to be a good man and a good citizen."

"Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime."

"The gods too are fond of a joke."

I'm not laughing.

These jokes stink.

A pile of boots and no child left behind lies.

And a bunch of crooked people at The Top running around for Centuries
giving us both at the same time without end.

It's a bunch of crap and I'm not going to take it anymore.

Turn off your f*cking computers.

Open your windows.

Cheeseburger

- Where has the sparrow gone now that I need its song.