[Mb-civic] Investigative Journalist Seymour Hersh Spills the Secrets of the Iraq Quagmire and the War on Terror

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Wed Oct 13 22:39:49 PDT 2004

Re:  Investigative Journalist Seymour Hersh Spills the Secrets of the
Iraq Quagmire and the War on Terror

Seymour just keeps taking the cake, lol, with our without my admiration.

Seymour Hersh wrote:

======
There was more - rumors of atrocities around Iraq that to Hersh brought
back memories of My Lai. In the evening's most emotional moment, Hersh
talked about a call he had gotten from a first lieutenant in charge of a
unit stationed halfway between Baghdad and the Syrian border. His group was
bivouacking outside of town in an agricultural area, and had hired 30 or so
Iraqis to guard a local granary. A few weeks passed. They got to know the
men they hired, and to like them. Then orders came down from Baghdad that
the village would be "cleared." Another platoon from the soldier's company
came and executed the Iraqi granary guards. All of them.

      "He said they just shot them one by one. And his people, and he, and
the villagers of course, went nuts," Hersh said quietly. "He was hysterical,
totally hysterical. He went to the company captain, who said, 'No, you don't
understand, that's a kill. We got 36 insurgents. Don't you read those
stories when the Americans say we had a combat maneuver and 15 insurgents
were killed?'

      "It's shades of Vietnam again, folks: body counts," Hersh continued.
"You know what I told him? I said, 'Fella, you blamed the captain, he knows
that you think he committed murder, your troops know that their fellow
soldiers committed murder. Shut up. Complete your tour. Just shut up! You're
going to get a bullet in the back.' And that's where we are in this war."
=======

CheeseNote:   Wow.  Is it allowable to shudder in public here.....?  :|

======
  "I think it's real simple to say [Bush] is a liar. But that would also
suggest there was a reality that he understood," explained Hersh. "I'm
serious. It is funny in sort of a sick, black humor sort of way, but the
real serious problem is, he believes what he's doing." In effect, Bush, Dick
Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, and the other neocons are "idealists, you can call
them utopians." As Hersh understands them, they really believe that the
solution to global terrorism began with invading Baghdad and will end only
with the transformation of the last unfriendly government in the Middle East
into a democracy.
======

Amicule, deliciae, num is sum qui mentiar tibi?

I'll have to disagree with your assessment of the situation there, Seymour,
and add that it's hard for me to sit here in my anonymity and realize with
all your knowledge that they have actually been able to dupe you as well,
at least on that particular above subject.

They don't believe it.  Not for a second.

They're =not= simply guilty of "Lying, but Lying and Believing Their Own
Lies As Truth".

They're just flat out chickensh*t Liars who just coincidentally happen to
know *exactly* what they are doing when they Lie, and that they *are* Lying
in the first place.

Yup, you can have a zillion people agree, Seymour, that perhaps they
"really believe in this, and that it's real, and not a 'Lie', etc to them",
including even yourself.

Lemme see, heh, how can I explain my viewpoint on that subject.

Oh, yes, I watched, forever, Bush and The Republican Party transform the
Governorship of and Texas itself into nothing short of their own dishonest,
uncaring for The People the State or America Itself, back room deal, Big
Business Etc favoring, image, and lying us all to hell here in Texas while
smiling in the cameras and kissing babies all the way.

And then they moved from the Governorship of Texas up to The Presidency Of
The United States Of America.

And took all their crap with them.

Including THE LIES which they KNOW they are telling each time they telling
them.

Not "a deluded ideology".

Wake the f*ck up, Seymour...!!!!  You're basically living under the =new=
"We Are Boss Of The World Regime" for the most part, at least their
interpretation of it within "Modern Boundaries".

When they *LIE*, they ***KNOW*** they are LYING.

*THAT* is how and why they are where they are today.

Not as the results of any mild "belief system", that they themselves wound
up buying in to.

They're at the top of the political food chain.

They got there by lying, cheating, stealing, and scratching their way to
the Top and by deceiving and corrupting everyone and anything in their path
on their way to glory.

Not from believing they are "Right".

They're CROOKS.  You already know that all too well, Seymour.

I don't mean to rant on about it that much, but it just surprised me that
you also have been duped into believing that there is an actual "ideology"
"behind The Lies".

There isn't.

That's just the cover story.

Follow the money trail, Seymour...

Follow the money trail...............  (Deep Cheeseburger)

:p

======
"No amount of body bags is going to dissuade [Bush]," said Hersh,
despite the fact that Hersh's sources say the war in Iraq is "not winnable.
It's over." As for Kerry's war plans, Hersh said he wished he could tell him
to stop talking as if the senator's plan for Iraq could somehow still eke
out a victory there. "This is a disaster that's been going on. It's a civil
war, the insurgency. There is no 'win' anymore in this war," he argued. "As
somebody said, 'We're playing chess, they're playing Go.'"
=======

If you're right, Seymour, with Bush back in office, we get Hell, with
Kerry, we at least wind up with Half Redemption.

It's that other half of Redemption that we're consistently denied that
keeps killing us.

With Bush, there is no Redemption at all.

With Kerry, will the glass be half full or half empty.

I'm sure we'll find out.

=======
"My parents were immigrants," Hersh said. "They came here because
America meant something...the Statue of Liberty and all that stuff, because
America always was this bastion of morality and integrity and a place for a
fresh start. And it's right in front of us, not hidden, that they've taken
this away from us."
=======

Cheeseburger closes The Book Of Truth he was able to smuggle in his
underwear back to his bedroom in his little hovel.

He reopens it to gingerly push one out of place page back into the book so
it will not eventually tear.

He hears the helicopters circling above.

He's not sure if it is al-Qaeda or America looking for something to destroy.

He remembers f*cking the Statue of Liberty.  Actually, he had never been to
the Statue of Liberty, but it was some chick he bumped in to on 7th Avenue
and 8th Street one weekend in Manhattan who painted herself green and stood
like the Statue of Liberty on streetcorners with people staring at her and
taking her photo.  He literally bumped into her, next thing he remembered
he felt like he was making love to all of America, and woke up the next
morning alone in her bed, with green paint all over him.

A note was attached to the pillow beside him:  "Cheeseburger, great night,
breakfast in the oven, will be back around 7, got to go out and stand for
Freedom for a while..."

Give 'em hell, Hersh.

Maybe someday, unlike today, a Majority of Americans will be able to easily
read the words you speak.

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

A posse ad esse

Ad vitam paramus

Aegroto, dum anima est, spes esse dicitur

Ad astra per aspera

Alea iacta est

Ave atque vale

Acta est fabula, plaudite!

Cheeseburger

- Where has the sparrow gone now that I need its song.