[Mb-civic] Amy Goodman?s Left Hook for Cable TV

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 22 20:59:24 PST 2004

Amy Goodman’s Left Hook for Cable TV
by Joe Hagan

http://www.observer.com/pages/nytv.asp

Wednesday, Nov. 17

In the wide, wide political spectrum of cable-news punditry—that is,
Beltway Red and Blue, Republican and Democrat—Amy Goodman
is a nice shade of shocking pink. She’s a good old-fashioned lefty.

But if you think the 47-year-old host of the liberal radio and TV show
Democracy Now! and author of The Exception to the Rulers:
Exposing Oily Politicians, War Profiteers, and the Media That Love
Them—is on the far left, that’s just because everything you’re
seeing and hearing on TV is in shades of red.

"It’s the right debating the far right," said Ms. Goodman on Monday,
Nov. 15. "We need something outside that." Until now, Ms.
Goodman has mainly had to confine her classic activism to a narrow
sliver of FM radio—Pacifica Radio’s WBAI 99.5 FM—and to a
simulcast cable-access program on Manhattan Neighborhood
Network, BCAT, QPTV and CUNY-TV.

But now that the roar of the Presidential election has finally
subsided, and Scott Peterson’s news value has screeched to a halt,
cable newsmakers are looking for fresh material. Enter Ms.
Goodman, an unapologetic progressive within a media that has run
out of so many story lines that liberal activists are interesting once
more. In her book, Ms. Goodman accuses the press of sucking up
to government officials—"the access of evil"—and consisting of
talking heads who, she said, "know so little about so much,
commenting on every issue."

You know who you are.

On Friday, Nov. 12, Ms. Goodman turned up on Tucker Carlson’s
PBS show, Unfiltered, which lead to a big booking on MSNBC’s
Hardball with Chris Matthews, set for Wednesday, Nov. 17. Mr.
Matthews’ executive producer, Tammy Haddad, saw Ms. Goodman
"on Tucker’s show, and I thought she was an amazing talker and
certainly worth talking to. Her point is that journalists are in collusion
with officialdom."

Ms. Haddad said she found that point "interesting."

"Amy Goodman appears to have great passion and a singular voice,
which is basic to cable success," she added.

Ms. Goodman said a voice like hers was necessary for network and
cable-TV news operations to cleanse their sins after a shameful last
few years.

"The Bush administration not finding weapons of mass destruction
in Iraq exposed more than the Bush administration," she said. "It
exposed a media that beat the drums for war for several years
.
Fox is easy to attack and it should be, but we’re talking about ABC,
NBC, CBS, CNN, all of them."

In keeping with her constituency, Ms. Goodman got booked on Mr.
Carlson’s show thanks to a lefty San Francisco cab driver. "We
were having this conversation about politics," said Mr. Carlson. "He
was a radical lefty—I kind of like that, better than liberals—and he
said, ‘Do you know Amy Goodman?’, and he said, ‘You gotta have
her on.’ And I called my booker and we booked her."

"Well, we do have a very large cab-driving audience, for sure," said
Ms. Goodman.

Mr. Carlson said he had wanted to bring more left guests on his
PBS show. "She’s kind of hostile to America, but it was good," said
Mr. Carlson, who bristled at Ms. Goodman’s contention that cable
news coverage is influenced by its conglomerate owners. "But I
don’t think people are trying to please their corporate masters, and
so I don’t buy that. She’s a big self-promoter. She gave her satellite
coordinates on my show, which bugged me."

It’s not as though Mr. Carlson had never encountered a self-
promoter on CNN’s Crossfire, which is Channel 200 on the DISH
Network, by the way. But he’d have her on again, he said.

"She’s not a lifestyle liberal," said Mr. Carlson. "Her first concern is
not making sure you drive a Prius. She’s actually interested in
reordering society. Again, I disagree with her. But I thought she was
a good guest."

Ms. Goodman said she was pleasantly surprised to hear from Mr.
Carlson, but that didn’t buy him a reprieve. "I’m concerned about a
right-wing takeover at PBS," she said, referring to the recent
departure of Bill Moyers and the addition of a show featuring The
Wall Street Journal editorial board and also Mr. Carlson’s show.

Was Ms. Goodman—who can’t weigh more than 130
pounds—ready to go toe-to-toe with Mr. Beef himself, Chris
Matthews?

"I’m anxious about what happens to people in Iraq, I’m anxious
about people covering Timor," she said. "I’m not anxious about
going on Chris Matthews’ show."

That’s the spirit.

On TV, Ms. Goodman comes off as a no-frills Noam Chomsky
pinup and anti–Deborah Norville who will rip your throat out if you
don’t answer the question—as President Bill Clinton learned on
election day in 2000, when he made a routine call-in to her radio
show to plug Hillary R. Clinton’s Senate run. Ms. Goodman
pummeled the President on whether Ralph Nader’s run was made
possible by Mr. Clinton turning the Democratic Party to the right
during his eight-year term.

"Now let me
 now, wait a minute," stammered an angry Mr.
Clinton. "You started this and every question you’ve asked has been
hostile and combative. So you listen to my answer, will you do that?
Now, you just listen to me. You ask the questions, and I’m going to
answer. You have asked questions in a hostile, combative, and
even disrespectful tone."

She’s ready for prime time. NYTV asked Ms. Goodman if she would
ever take a regular gig on a TV show like Fox News Sunday—as
NPR’s Juan Williams did. She didn’t count it out. The TV news
media, she said, "has reached an all-time low. So I welcome the
opportunity to talk about these issues."

Calling Brit Hume!

Ms. Goodman’s book was published by Hyperion, a subsidiary of
Disney. And Tucker Carlson prodded Ms. Goodman to respond to
the question of whether criticizing the big media from a big-media
platform opened her up to criticism.

"If you want to be able to communicate with many people who are
watching the mass media, you have to go where they are," said Ms.
Goodman.

Hiya, kids! This morning on the Disney Channel, it’s Club Chomsky!

Tonight, Ms. Goodman broadcasts from an old firehouse in
Chinatown.[CUNY, 75, midnight]

-----

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

Action is the antidote to despair.  ----Joan Baez