[Mb-civic] Online action: Arctic Refuge!

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 20 18:02:52 PST 2004

Greetings,

One of our last great wild places, the Arctic National Wildlife
Refuge is under fresh attack from the oil industry and their
allies in Congress and the Administration. That's why The
Wilderness Society has launched an all-out campaign to protect
the Arctic wilderness.

But we need your help.

We need to send Congress and the Administration a strong early
message that we're NOT going to stand by and watch as America's
wild places are sold off to the highest bidder. Click the link
below to take action today:

http://ga3.org/ct/npzxfid1gjKC/

We can't lose the critical battle to preserve this precious,
threatened landscape which is inhabited by wolves, grizzlies,
caribou, and millions of migrating birds.

This looming threat is more serious, and more dangerous, than
ever before. Anti-wilderness forces in Congress hope to use a
backdoor budget process to sneak this giveaway onto the same
federal budget the government needs to function. They know that
they don't have the votes necessary to enact this ill-conceived
plan through the normal legislative process that requires 60
votes to pass such highly controversial measures in the U.S.
Senate. The decision to circumvent the normal rules is being
made NOW.

Just last week, Rep. Richard Pombo (R-California), a vocal
drilling advocate and chairman of the House Resources Committee,
claimed that now is "The best chance we've had" to drill in the
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. (CNN.com, 11/10/2004)

Poll after poll has shown that the American people believe some
places are so wild, so special, and so important that they
should be off limits to oil drilling. Drilling in the Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge would ruin one of America 's last
unspoiled and irreplaceable wild places for just a few months
worth of oil that won't be available to consumers for ten years!
There are far better ways to meet America 's future energy
needs, like making our vehicles more efficient and investing in
renewable forms for energy.

Please take a moment to remind your Senator that the vast
majority of Americans want the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
to remain just the way it is: wild, unspoiled, and free of oil
rigs.

Click here to take action:
http://ga3.org/ct/npzxfid1gjKC/

With your help, we will protect the Arctic National Wildlife
Refuge as an unspoiled legacy for future generations.

Thank you,

Kathy Kilmer
Director, Electronic Communications
The Wilderness Society

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

Action is the antidote to despair.  ----Joan Baez