[Mb-civic] Confessions of an Economic Hit Man

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 20 18:01:59 PST 2004

Smedley Butler, Meet John Perkins
by Russell Mokhiber and Robert Weissman

Remember Smedley Butler?

He was perhaps the most decorated Major General in Marine Corps
history.

In the early part of this century, he fought and killed for the United
States around the world.

Butler was awarded two Congressional Medals of Honor.

Then, when he returned to the United States he wrote a book titled “War is
a Racket” which opens with the memorable lines: “War is a racket. It
always has been.”

“I was a high class muscleman for Big Business, for Wall Street and for
the Bankers,” Butler said. “In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for
capitalism.”