[Mb-civic] god will punish bush

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Sun Nov 14 20:11:08 PST 2004

Lyle:

Don't mince words - tell me what you really think.

What I find interesting is that, hidden within the (very un-Christian) anger and insult in your response is the fact that you apparently agree with my basic premise about the statement I responded to.  Because you now modify it by saying "Christ helps those who help others" (something I would agree with, for the most part), and ascribe the original statement ("God helps those who help themselves") to people like Dick Cheney.  Enough said there.

As for being the "unofficial Christian spokesman for this group," I have never said anything of the sort, and I challenge you to find that statement anywhere in the archives.  If you do, I'll eat my rosary...(OK, I don't have a rosary 'cause I'm not Catholic; I'll find something else to eat).  Indeed, such an accusation is absurd since it is simply not in my belief or my nature to claim to be the "official" spokesperson for anything, much less Christianity or this group.  If anything, I am more likely to have referred to myself as the "token minister," since that it a more probable truth.

As for accusations - even veiled ones - comparing me to "racist" missionaries, if that is the level at which you want to engage me, I decline to be baited.  Suffice it to say that that would be like calling Gandhi a "warmonger"; since you know little or nothing of my history, you cannot possibly know how inappropriate your remark is.

As for my beliefs - "dogma," "doctrine," call it what you will - I have made no effort to hide them: they are well known here, and they do not comport with what you (and many others) rail at vis-a-vis the "Christian Right" et al.  And I will reiterate - yet again - that this is where many of you make a big mistake.

There are right-wing, conservative, evangelical Christians, and there are centrist (and even left-wing), moderate (even liberal), evangelical Christians.  And, statistically, the latter outnumber the former, even in Catholicism.  Given this, when you lump all the Christians together in a big bowl marked "Christian Right" - simply because you think that every evangelical Christian must be a right-wing, conservative, pro-Bush Christian - all you do is alienate an enormous number of Christians who might otherwise become allies.

Keep it up, Lyle.  You are doing more than you know to derail any valuable, positive, progressive discourse with potential allies.

Peace.