[Mb-civic] Throw away your puny brush -- use a power sprayer!

Reeeees at aol.com Reeeees at aol.com
Fri Nov 5 14:24:08 PST 2004

Michael,

This is from a friend -- a teacher of mine at college, a brilliant thinker
and writer -- whose remarks preface those of David Loye / Unquiet Revolutionary
Press.

Linda

Hi EVERYBODY! I have been wrestling with the grim realities of November 2,
trying to find a way to respond to those of you who have emailed me about it and
the questions all of us are asking: "what on earth do we do now--given the
givens?"  Then, I received this "light out of the darkness" from David Loye, a
brilliant colleague in my evolutionary systems community about the ongoing--
and now more critical than ever-- work he and others in this leading-edge
community of scholars and activists have been doing to address the megacrises before
us. I beg you to check out his website--it's a way out of "the dark night of
the soul," and provides an overarching framework for the new work we must do
to counter the red insurgents of the religious right and the corporate neocons
who have taken us hostage wholesale! (and, I might add, with our permission!).
 From his website listed below is this excerpt:

The 2004 election reflected the massive failure of mainstream American
education to teach students, teachers, and parents to care about what matters, think
about what matters, and act on behalf of what matters, rather than live on
automatic following orders or the designs of others.

This calls to mind a rude awakening from the recent past. After the onslaught
at Columbine High School, I listened with astonishment to the aftermath
interviews of the "well-meaning parents" of the deceased and their devastated
neighbors and surviving students. No one had a clue about the dynamics in play that
day and the history of unnoticed pains and mismatches that suddenly bursts
into cataclysmic rage. They spoke of their victimhood and disbelief that such a
tragedy could ever have happened in their perfect community:

"We did everything right; our kids had all the things they needed; there were
so many activities for them, sports, celebrations, rituals; the community
fostered the most wholesome agendas available, to the envy of less privileged
towns elsewhere--we were all so close--how could this have happened here??!"

No one questioned the premises of their perfect place: the ideologies of
their upscale real estate and shopping malls, the Faustian bargains of their
economic successes, the hypocrisies of their religious and social behaviors, the
suppression of diverse ways of being and views of the world, and on and on.
These things never came up--didn't need to...they had constructed their place in
the world, were praised for doing so, and it was great!

I believe that "well-meaning Democrats" are living in Columbine, completely
unprepared for how deep and wide the entrenchment of the radical conservative
/religious right really is, and how long it has been stealthily culturing its
virus. Confident in the "rightness" of our cause we have just been blind-sided
by the surfacing effects of their seductive, pandemic propaganda which has
manipulated the fearful and the mindless into the slick safety of the briarpatch.
November 2 is a bigger wake-up call than 9/11!

There is a principle in systems theory called the Law of Requisite Variety,
which states that the variety of a regulator must equal that of the
disturbances whose effects it is to negate, otherwise nothing changes. We need a richer
mix and a more compelling agenda at a higher level of consciousness and action
if we are to arrest this perilous plague which threatens the civilized world.
However earnest and long-suffering our recent labors to give life to the
Democratic cause, we are still trying to paint the barn door with a three-hair
brush! We are willing, but not ready to design the requisite variety needed to
redirect the course.  The challenging work outlined in David Loye's website
holds incredible promise and superb insights.  Democrats: throw away your puny
brush and get a power sprayer!!

- - - - -

HERE IS DAVID LOYE'S MESSAGE:

TO DARWIN PROJECT COUNCIL MEMBERS AND OTHER INTERESTED PARTIES.

Spent all day yesterday writing and updating website to find answers to the
two over-riding questions about 2004 U.S. election now reverberating worldwide.
 How on earth, in face of proto-impeachment record, could Bush be re-elected?
 What do we do now?

I urge you to go to take just five minutes from your busy day to go to the
complete revision and update for http://www.unquietrevolutionarypress.com/ and
look at the answers I found to both questions in terms of the "new" Darwinian,
or second Darwinian revolution, perspective.

Down left column you will see the rather astounding list of books that answer
these two questions to be published online from this site over next six
months.

Down middle column you will find my conclusions in terms of the massive
failures not only in corporations and religion but even more fundamentally in
science and education that put and now keep the Bushites in power -- and what we
can do about it.

Down right column you will find appeal to expand global online readership and
free downloads for these books.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, you will find an explanation of why this new
publishing venture can lead to something highly impactful and significant over the next
two years, and direct talk to and reasons for acquiring editors for globally
established book publishers to buy books from this new global marketplace for
the kind of books that are needed to advance human evolution -- rather than
check us in place or drive us backward.

SO FAR FROM THIS WEBSITE BOTH NEW DARWIN BOOKS HAVE BEEN SOLD TO A
LEADING GERMAN PUBLISHER, WITH DEAL HANDLED BY TOP NEW YORK LITERARY AGENCY.
AND JUST YESTERDAY CAME QUERY FROM LEADING ITALIAN PUBLISHER RE BOTH DARWIN
BOOKS.

When you look at the new revised website, please do so with the aghast
reaction to the U.S. election of  leading newspapers in the rest of the world now
seeping into the internet in mind.

I think you'll see what this potentially revolutionary new publishing venture
has set in motion.

Report of "hits" to The Unquiet Revolutionary Press website shows they're not
only coming from U.K., Canada, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Japan, to be
expected, but Bulgaria and Estonia are latest to show up!

Please forward this email to everyone on your list you think may be
interested -- as well as interested in spreading the word of this new
scientifically-grounded as well as morally and spiritually-attuned source of hope!

DL

http://www.unquietrevolutionarypress.com/